The Black Gate

We walked over to Ada who was addressing the ghost army.
"Release us." The leader said.
"Bad idea. Very handy in a tight spot, these lads, despite the fact they're dead." Gimli said his hands gripping tight onto his axe.
"You gave us your word." The leader said to Ada.
"I hold your oath fulfilled. Go. Be at peace." Ada told the ghost leader. with a breath of wind the army disappeared.
Ada turned and faced us. When his eyes stopping on my. Relief washed over his face as he walked towards me, almost stumbling in his haste.
"Nîn-iell" is all he said as he pulled me into a hug.

———

We gathered in the throne room along with Èomer, who was now in charge of Rohan with the death of Theoden.
"Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening." Gandalf said.
"If Sauron had the Ring we would know it." Ada said with his back to the group, staring at the statues of his ancestors.
"It's only a matter of time. He suffered a defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping." Gandalf mused.
Gimli took a draw from his pipe.
"Let him stay there. Let him rot! Why should we care?" He said.
"Because 10,000 Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom. I've sent him to his death." Gandalf said grieved.
"No. There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that." Ada said turning to face us.
"How?" Gandalf asked.
"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands.  We gather out full strength and march on the Black Gate." Ada said.
Gimli choked on his pipe smoke and coughed in surprise.
"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms. Not for ourselves." Èomer spoke, slowly moving forward a few steps.
"But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves." Ada finalised.
"A diversion." Legolas commented. Gandalf walked toward Ada.
"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait." Gandalf told him.
"Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?" Gimli spoke up. I grinned at him.
"Gimli you amuse me." I told him.

Legolas met me in the hall near my rooms that I now have. He pushed me up against a wall.
"Meleth, the worry I felt for you." He said as he placed a searing kiss on my lips.
"And I was right. Look at your cuts and bruises." He told me as he stepped back and examined the large slice on my arm. The split on my lip stung.
"This is what is expected from fighting in a battle. A commander can't stand back and watch." I said to him. He raised his head and looked me in the eyes.
"Every time you hurt, I hurt. It pains me to see you suffer." He said his eyes sad.
"Legolas" I whispered, looking into his crystal blue eyes. He leaned in again and this time kissed me gently. His lips moving in harmony with mine. I pulled away, my whole body protesting.
"Meleth, we must rest. Tomorrow we leave for another battle. Come, rest with me this once." I told him.
"Let me go wash the battle off. I will be back soon." Legolas said. He kissed me once more and walked off.
In my room was an already prepared bath. I quickly shed my armour and sunk into the steaming water. A maid entered with another bucket of water.
"Oh! My Lady! Allow me to help you!" She said. I nodded tiredly. The maid washed my hair and skin, removing the dirt and blood.
I had just dried off and dressed into a nightgown when a knock sounded.
"Enter" I called out as I wrapped a soft and silky robe around myself.
Legolas walked in with Ada.
"I was told by a certain elf that you had a large cut on your arm." Ada said walking over to me. I shot Legolas an annoyed look.
"Ada it is not as bad as it looks." I said as I pushed my sleeve up to show him.
"I also heard that you will be sharing a room with Legolas tonight." He said with a pointed look as he smoothed a salve onto my arm.
This time I turned and looked at Legolas with my eyebrows raised. My cheeks now burning red.
"Not for much longer." I replied.
Ada laughed.
"Oh Nîn-iell. I know you won't bond. Not without being married. It's ok to need comfort after a battle." He said. Elves don't have intimate relations until they are married. The Valar required this.
"Ada don't tease." I said pouting.
"I have regrets about being betrothed to your best friend." I said to the both of them grumpily. Both Legolas and Ada laughed.
My arm now wrapped up, Ada pulled my sleeve down.
"Rest well, you two." He said. Ada kissed my cheek and left the room.
Legolas walked over to me.
"He interrogated me." He said pulling me to my feet and leading me to the bed where the maid had just finished turning down the covers.
"Of course he did." I said and rolled me eyes. The maid was walking around the room finishing up a few last things and blowing out candles.
"My Lady, I will be just through this door if you need anything." She said and left the room.
Legolas lay down on the bed and pulled me down next to him. I lay my head on his shoulder and placed my hand on his stomach.
"I love you." I told him quietly leaning up to kiss his cheek.
He hummed and wrapped his arms around me.
"I love you." He replied using his free hand to lift my chin. He kissed me softly and slowly, the feeling of safety in his arms spread through me.
I pulled up the covers and we both fell into a well deserved rest.