An oath to an Oaf

We rode day and night. Through forests and rivers, all blurring into one. The land opened into grassy hills as we entered the last day of riding. Snow capped mountains rose out of the ground, standing tall and foreboding in the distance.
"We've just passed into the realm of Gondor." Gandalf told Pippin as we thundered across the ground.
We came over a rise and slowed to a stop. Before us stood the white city.
"Minas Tirith. City of Kings." Gandalf said.
We forged ahead to the city. The gates opened and welcomed us in. Gandalf didn't slow down, forcing people out of his way as we rode fast through the city up to the throne room.
"Make way!" Gandalf shouted to the crowds of people blocking the path. They scattered just in time as we shot past them.
"An elf!" People whispered as we rode past. My sunlight coloured hair flying out behind me revealing my pointed ears. The braid I'd put in had long since unraveled.
We came to a stop in the courtyard, A dead white tree stood at its centre.
"It's the tree. Gandalf. Gandalf." Pippin said excitedly as we walked past it.
"Yes, the White Tree of Gondor. The tree of the king. Lord Denethor however is not the king. He is a steward only, a caretaker of the throne."

"Now listen carefully. Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. To give him news of his beloved son's death would be most unwise. And so not mention Frodo or the Ring. And say nothing of Aragorn either." Gandalf said to Pippin turning to enter the hall. He paused and turned back.
"In fact it's better if you don't speak at all Peregrin Took." He told the Hobbit.

We entered the hall, our footsteps echoing on the marble floor. Alongside us was statues of kings. The deceased line of Elendil, hopefully one day Ada's statue would join them.
"Hail Denethor, son of Ecthelion, lord and steward of Gondor, I come with tidings in this dark hour, and with council." Gandalf told the steward.
Dementor was slumped in his chair at the base of the Throne platform. In his hand was Boromir's horn.
"Perhaps you come to explain this." He whispered to Gandalf. Showing the two parts of the horn that had been cleaved in half by the Uruk-hai.
"Perhaps you come to tell my why my son is dead." He said, his eyes dark with grief, tears lingering in them.
"Boromir died to save us, my kinsmen and me. He fell defending us from many foes." Pippin spoke up, walking around Gandalf to face the steward head on.
"Pippin!" Gandalf warned sharply.
Pippin kneeled before Denethor.
"I offer you my service such as it is, in payment of this debt." Pippin pledged to Denethor.
I rubbed my face with my hand and groaned softly. So much for don't speak at all.
"Get up." Gandalf said to Pippin as he whacked him with his staff.
"My Lord, there will be a time to grieve for Boromir, but it is not now. War is coming. The enemy is on your doorstep. As steward, you are charged with the defence of this city. Where are Gondor's armies? You still have friends. You are not alone in this fight. Send word to Theoden of Rohan. Light the beacons." Gandalf told the steward.
"You think you are wise, Mithrandir. Yet for all your subtleties, you have not wisdom. Do you think the eyes of the White Tower are blind? I have seen more than you know. With your left hand you would use me as a shield against Mordor. And with your right you'd seek to supplant me. I know who rides with Theoden of Rohan. Oh, yes, word has reached my ears if this Aragorn, Son of Arathorn, and his half-breed girl. And I tell you now I will not bow to this Ranger from the North, last of a ragged house long bereft of lordship." Denethor said sneering rudely to Gandalf. My eyes narrowed at the words the steward spoke.
"Authority is not given to you to deny the return of the king, steward." Gandalf spat at the steward.
"The rule of Gondor is mine and no other's." Dementor growled.
"Come" Gandalf said and turned on his heel.
"You have little choice in this matter, old man. The city will not stand by you as you insult the king and his daughter." I snapped at the insolent steward.
He looked at me in anger, as I turned and followed Gandalf out of the hall.

———

We stood on the balcony of room they provided the three of us. Denethor refused to give me a private room. Pippin was sorting through the armour provided to him.
"So I imagine this is just a ceremonial position. I mean they don't actually expect me to do any fighting so they?" Pippin asked Gandalf and I. I leant against one of the pillars and looked at Pippin, nervousness was paramount in this small being.
"You're in the service of the steward now. You're going to have to do as you're told, Peregrin Took, Guard of the Citadel." Gandalf huffed slightly sarcastically the hobbit.
Pippin walked to the stone balcony and leant against it looking out across the city and land.
"It's so quiet." He observed.
"It's the deep breath before the plunge." Gandalf uttered. Gandalf passed me a cup of wine as I joined them on the balcony.
"I don't want to be in a battle but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse. Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?" Pippin asked.
Gandalf walked forward and leaned next to the Hobbit.
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope. Our enemy is ready. His full strength's gathered. Not only Orcs, men as well. Legions of Haradrim from the south, mercenaries from the coast. All will answer Mordor's call. This will be the end of Gondor as we know it. Here the hammer stroke will fall the hardest. If the river is taken if the garrison at Osgiliath falls, the last defense of this city will be gone." Gandalf spoke.
"But we have the White Wizard. That's got to count for something. Gandalf?" Pippin said.
"Sauron has yet to reveal his deadliest servant the one who will lead Mordor's armies in the war. The one they say no living man can kill. The witch-king of Agmar. You've met him before. He stabbed Frodo on weathertop. He is the lord of the Nazgûl, the greatest of the nine. Minas Morgul is his lair." Gandalf said to Pippin. I walked forward and put my hand on Pippin's shoulder reassuringly. My wine cup now placed back on the table behind us.
The night was still but I could sense something stirring in the night. Suddenly a green fire pillar shot up into the sky. Gasps and muttered echoed throughout the city as the green light flashed, illuminating everything. Gandalf pulled Pippin next to him in a small side hug.
"The board is set. The pieces are moving." Gandalf said grimly.