The Dying Breath...

“I said Santa isn’t real judging by your reaction.” The door wasn’t too far away from me but James positioned himself in front of me, blocking my path to it.

“Are you asking for an ass kicking off me Rose? Is that why you’d anger me so much at the thought of you dying?” 

“Is the thought of our baby girl dying more soothing for you James? Because it isn’t better for me. Nothing is going to stop me from getting to that girl, especially some damned bloody door, or my husband.” I looked deeply into his eyes that were swimming with emotions but I didn’t have time to worry about him now. “When I get in there you get ready to take Amber from me and no matter what you get her and yourself out of this god-forsaken place.” I walked past him but couldn’t meet his eyes now because I knew that my determination to do what was needed to be done would falter under his loving gaze.

I was just about to touch the door when his strangled cry rang out through the corridor like he’d been stabbed. Startled, I turned to see tears rolling freely down his face. I’d never seen him cry before. “How is this fair?!” He roared to the rafters. “He can’t have her so I have to choose between my wife and my child? My child needs a mother, my wife needs her child and I need you both! Let me do it-”

I was already shaking my head before he finished the offer. “You think I could live without you? I’d rather die saving my daughter thank you very much. I want to be the martyr and I’m stronger now with my new vampiric senses kicking in.” He was in front of me the next instant and his lips came crashing down onto mine. It was a kiss out of fairy tales that literally made my toes curl as tears started rolling down my face now at the knowledge of what this was for me, even if James didn’t realise it: It was the kiss of a dying woman, my last kiss with him.

He broke away but I could still feel his heavy breath fanning over my lips as he rested his forehead against mine. “Come back to me my love.” My breath hitched in my throat, burning with the need to promise him anything when he sounded so broken but I couldn’t promise him that because I knew that I wouldn’t be surviving this.

I stepped back before I lost the nerve and walked to the door, once last look behind me and I smiled, “look after our baby girl and keep my heart safe, because it’s always been yours.” Palm raised I edged my hand slowly towards the wood that didn’t look as dangerous as it was and finally laid my palm on it.

The heat burned like a poker and I yanked my hand back immediately through gut reaction making James take a step closer behind me. “No. I have to do this.” I put my hand back and grimaced as I made contact with the wood again, the burning felt like I was pushing against a wall of fire that was beginning to eat its way up my arm. I placed my other hand next to it and felt nausea assailed me with the force to make one of my knees buckle but I had to start pushing before they gave out all together.

The door held firm but started to move slightly as I increased the pressure but they were only going to move so much with me pushing with only my hands. My right hand dropped away as my shoulder barraged into the door, moving it an inch, but as soon as my shoulder connected the burning ran through my shoulder and straight to my heart like someone was grabbing the organ and squeezing it tightly over a raging fire. I screamed at the top of my lungs which was answered by James’ bellow but I lost focus as my eyes started to blur through sweat. If I didn’t get the door open soon then I wouldn’t be able to open it at all. I started to push with all my might which was when my vision started to cloud with red and my fangs started to elongate, my vampires instincts coming to the fore giving me renewed strength that was stronger than most humans. The doors began to groan but slowly open, the sound music to my ears as my heart kept failing and starting thanks to my genes trying to repair the damage the door was making to my body, but they weren’t quick enough, they just weren’t enough.