Chapter 1- First Day

"Hey, sorry I'm late, have you colour coded yet?" Charli asked as she sat beside her best friend Neve, pulling out her new school schedule for the term.

"Nope I've been waiting for you, where were you?" Neve poured her coloured pencils out onto the table between them. Charli sighed as she started colouring her subject squares in different colours.

"I had to talk to my teachers, I have a few new ones who wouldn't know what to do if...you know." Neve nodded understanding what she meant. The girls compared their schedules discovering they both had art together next period. They chatted excitedly about their upcoming art assignments while they devoured their lunch. The bell finally rang, and the girls made their way to their class. They lined up outside with their new art books in their hands.

"I'm guessing she's one of the teachers you had to talk to?" Charli nodded glancing in at the teacher typing away at the front desk. Neve gently squeezed her shoulder.

"I've got you, don't worry."

"Excuse me? do you know where room 102 is?" a strange voice spoke causing the girls to jump.

"Oh, um hi, that's right here." Charli felt her cheeks instantly start burning as she stared up at the tanned boy looking back at her. His green eyes popped against his skin tone, his hair in dark curls along his forehead.

"Oh, that's um awkward then." he chuckled clearly embarrassed. Neve nudged Charli in the ribs slightly, knocking her out of her trance.

"Don't worry, all the rooms look the same it's a maze in here." The boy put his bag down on the racks and pulled out a half-used art book with drawings covering the front.

"Wow, did you do those?" Charli asked looking over Neve's shoulder.

The boy nodded handing Neve the book. The girls looked through the book as they walked inside and found a table.

"Those are amazing." Neve slid the book across the table to him.

"So, what's your name...oh seriously!" The boy smiled at Charli as she pulled her pencil case out of her bag dropping all the pencils across the table.

"Corbyn, my mates used to call me Corbs, or...other things you know as mates do."

"I'm Neve, and this is Charli, she's clearly a bit of a clutz." she laughed as Charli appeared from under the table after gathering the few run-away pencils.

"Yeah, you're not wrong, can't even open a pencil case."

"Hey, I'm clumsy too don't worry." Corbyn smiled as he handed her a few of the pencils he had collected. He couldn't take his eyes off of her, he hoped it wasn't obvious, Neve was nice, and pretty her short hair bounced on her shoulders when she walked and her tall frame made it hard for her to sit at the short art benches, but Charli. Charli was different, there was something about her that Corbyn couldn't quite put his finger on. The ends of her long brown hair rested on the table as she ruled up her page, her freckles framed her dark brown eyes perfectly. Everything about her just seemed perfect.

"Corbyn?" A voice echoed through the room.

"Wh, uh sorry I wasn't listening." Corbyn sat up straight in his chair and turned towards the teacher.

"I'm aware, pay attention you might actually learn something interesting." She winked as she turned back to the whiteboard.

"She seems nice, is she? or is she one of those teachers who's nice for the first week then turns into a demon?" He whispered to Charli.

"I'm not sure, we've never had her before, but I hope not." She chuckled. Just as he was about to respond the bell rang signaling the next lesson. The girls packed up their belongings reasonably fast and said their goodbyes to Corbyn as they went their separate ways. They waited until he had disappeared around the corner before the girls started nudging each other uncontrollably.
"Young Love!" Neve almost shouted. Charli slapped her hand over her mouth. "Shush...I guess his alright." she shrugged pretending to brush it off before making a dash away from Neve. The girls chased each other through the hallways towards their next class.