Chapter 6

Iris POV:

"Thank you very much. I'll try not to be back in here any time soon." I told the receptionist.

"You take care dear!" 

"I will, thanks," I said and walked out.

"Just a reminder, the training prom is tomorrow night!" The receptionist called out and I gave her a thumbs up in acknowledgement. 

It was Thursday morning, 4 days after my waking and debut with Cato. Still not happy with him. But I don't know if he's particularly happy with me right now either. 

I walk down the back alleys of District Two and try to avoid the thoughts of the days to come. I really hope that Cato and I don't get chosen to be in the games. My eyes get teary at the thought of Cato.

"Why do I miss him? Maybe I should've just told him. But he could've gotten mad at me." I say out loud.

"But why would I get mad at you?" 

I jerked my head back but no one was behind me.

"Up here." The voice said.

I looked up and I didn't even notice that I had passed his house. Cato looks through his open window, his face outside and the wind making his hair flow. But his face was all puffy and red as if he had been crying.

"Cato, I-" I started but he began talking.

"Listen, we need to talk. Remember what tonight is. Go there." He said and closed his window quickly.

What tonight is? What could that even mean? And go where? So many questions ran through my head but I just ran home, letting them all fly away while I ran.

(Later)

It took some remembering, but I finally remember what tonight is. Our weekly picnic. 7:00 every Thursday. I can't believe I forgot! This is the thing I look forward to this moment every week.  I walk through the forest, with a basket filled to the brim of crackers, desserts, and other foods that Cato would enjoy. I just hope I got the right spot.

 I honestly should've just told the truth but I hope we can make it up, or I'll be apologizing for eternity! I laughed at that last part. That was another thing I liked about Cato, he never made fun of my laugh, which sounded like a seagull at times.

I turn the final corner in the forest, hoping that I am right, and I see our special spot is covered in a red, checkered blanket with a candle in the middle and plates on either side of the blanket. In front of one of the plates, Cato sits there, reading his book.

"Hey," I say, emerging from the trees.

"Glad you could make it." He says, nodding to the other side of the blanket where a place has been made for me.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," I say back, sitting down on the blanket and putting the basket of food in front of us.

"Thanks," He says, "I wouldn't either."

We sit in silence as we take turns grabbing food and putting it on our plates.

"Cato I-" I start but he cuts me off.

"I'm sorry Iris, I shouldn't have yelled at you."

Wow, Cato Hadley, apologizing? Never thought I would see that in a million years.

"It's fine. I shouldn't have kept that from you anyway."

"From here on out, we tell each other anything and everything."