Adapting

3 days later

Ben as Grey Matter had put it off. It was officially Friday and he needed to do at least 1 patrol.

"Alright Rook I guess we're doing this." Grey Matter said as he attached his Plumbers badge to his back and climbed up into the Proto-Truck.

"I find Kirby's decision to lock you in a form problematic." Rook said.

"I believe it is a mix of Kirby being petty and needing to work." Shar said picking up Grey Matter.

"Has Kirby spoken to either of you two?" Ben asked.

"No." Rook said.

"Just a confirmation of picking up a few parts in GN-z11 I believe what he said." Shar said.

Grey Matter's pupils dilated.

"That is highly unlikely." Rook said "that is the farthest Galaxy from the Milky Way and is-

"31.96 billion light years away." Grey Matter says "He'd need to be going-"

Shar's badge beeped and saw it was a text "Just made it back to Andromeda be back to Terra within 24 hours." She read "You want anything? Ogia." She typed back. "Bet."

"How could he possibly..." Ben learned being Grey Matter made him actually look back on the cool shit he's done and the absurdity of it sometimes.

"Man I should not be as restricted to Earth as I am." Ben said.

"Yes Kirby has saved the Plumbers a surplus of fuel just making quick trips for pickups." Shar said "Ultimate Jetray is often used as a tow truck for ships."

"Well I must say I am looking forward to working with you." Rook said to Ben.

"Yeah...hey Rook random question, pray tell how long did you know about me before I was assigned with you?" Grey Matter asked.

"Oh I've known about you since before entering the Plumbers but I've had a few months knowledge about this." Rook said.

Shar sucked in through her teeth and Ben's eye started twitching.

"What?" Rook asked.

"Months." Ben said.

"Yes I have spoken to both Gwen and Kevin before as well." Rook said.

"Oh that is unfortunate." Shar said.

"What?" Rook asked.

"Rook I was informed the day Gwen and Kevin left for college about them leaving and you being assigned to me. I had no prior knowledge." Ben said looking defeated "I'm starting to see why I'm locked as Grey Matter. Kirby was making sure I could see the big picture."

"How long did you know before you started working with Kirby?"

"One random day I was asked to join him along with the Vreedles on a mission." Shar said.

"You pour woman." Rook said.

"Why?" Shar asked "Rom and Octo are my running buddies."

Rooks food slammed on the break hard and the truck skidded to a halt.

"WHAT?!" Both of the men said.

"We went through basic together." Shar said tilting her head.

"Shar I took my finals in a trailer because they blew up the train facilities!" Rook exclaimed.

"So did they." Shar said "Tragic when it happened. Funny as hell when we look back on it now."

Rook had put the car in park and brought his hands together near his face just letting the information sink in.