Part 25

After a few minutes of silence Arizona hesitantly lifted her shirt. Exposing the 6 inch scar on her abdomen to Teddy Altman. 

"What the hell is that?" Teddy exclaimed. 

"Teddy, I will talk about it but you can't tell anyone. Mark knows everything. But not even Callie knew about it."

"How did Callie not see that scar?" Teddy asked still disturbed by her friends obvious Injury.

"I avoided all intimacy and any chance that she might see me naked." Arizona explained.

Arizona moved away quickly as Teddy tried to gently touch her scar.

"Im sorry." She apologized for scaring her. "Wait-You avoided her for 8 months? She didn't ask why?"

"Callie didn't push me. I guess she had her own damn secrets." Arizona finished resentfully.

"Are you ready to tell me what happened?" Teddy asked softly.

"Yes." Arizona went on to tell her the whole story. How  rebel soldiers attacked the clinic late one night looking for narcotics and opioids.  No one was supposed to be there. But she and a male colleague were there doing supply inventory. The men tried to sexually assault her but her friend fought them off and he was murdered right in front of her as he tried to protect her. They beat her violently with their guns and kicked her until she lost consciousness. She woke up in hospital in Lilongwe. She suffered a head injury,multiple internal injuries, Broken ribs, Pneumothorax, liver lac, ruptured spleen,fractured collarbone and bruised kidneys. She was flown to London and then eventually to Washington D.C. where her parents lived. She had been afraid to return to Malawi. She admitted to Teddy that she came back to Seattle because she needed to feel safe. She knew that her feelings for Callie had changed and she was no longer in love with her.  But she also knew that all she wanted was to not be afraid anymore.

" I get that you had to tell Mark after he saw you naked, Zo. But why didn't you trust me enough to talk to me about it? About the attack and about you and Mark?" Teddy asked with hurt in her voice.

"Henry was sick and getting sicker. I couldn't burden you with my shit. I tried so many times. Mark made me feel safe. That's why I told him. Long before he saw me naked." Arizona explained.

"I thought I was losing my mind. I was seriously considering having myself committed Teds. I was scared and a little ashamed. I loved him. I hated him. I lusted after him. I was a damn mess and you didn't need that " A tear fell down Arizona's cheek

"I get the lust part. Remember I had my own "Horny for Sloan stage" myself." Teddy laughed.

"Yes I do. Let's not reminisce about how you once lusted after my man." Arizona warned, teasing her best friend. She really has missed Teddy.

"Arizona Robbins just made a reference to her "man". Fuck Zo. You really have it bad." She teased Arizona. 

"God, I know. It honestly scares the hell out me. Remember when he was crazy about Lexie? Look how that turned out." Arizona was freaking herself out.

"When did he break up with Lexie for good?" Teddy asked.

"I dunno. After she got over the initial shock of the pregnancy they got back together. Then Mark and I started hanging out as friends.  Maybe itbwas around thatntime he stopped seeing her. Mark wouldn't talk about it. But Alex told me that Lexie was pissed because had Mark ended it because he had feelings for me."

"I heard Mark tell Derek how he felt about you today. I've never seen him like this. He is in love with you. I think he would do anything in his power not to hurt you. Shit..it's after midnight. I have to go sweetie. I have an early surgery. Are you gonna be okay til Sloan gets home?"

"Yeah. He just texted me. He's on his way home. I have really missed our talks Teddy." Arizona hugged her friend. "I love you."

"I love you too." Teddy returned her hug.

Mark walked in the door as they exchanged hugs.

"Altman!!" Sloan exclaimed. "Are you putting the moves on my woman?! Because I'm down forma little thr-"

"Do not finish that sentence!" Arizona warned as she rolled her eyes.

"Manwhore!" Teddy laughed.  "I guess some things never change." She teased as she left her friends' apartment.  Truly happy for the two of them.