Chapter 6: complications

Re-born, chapter 6

"No Mum! I don't like it!" Thalia rolled her eyes and avoided looking in the mirror. I so look like my grandma in that! Thalia thought as her eyes finally settled on her reflection. She was wearing a flowery skirt that reached her ankles; the flower patterns were huge and crowded. On top of that, Eva had also given her a matching blazer. Thalia shook her head violently before running to the change room and stripping out of those ugly clothes.

"Sweetheart you are exaggerating! It looked lovely on you, and I'm sure Thalia would have loved this on you." Eva whined pouting.

Thalia sighed and popped her head between the changing room's curtains "Mom, seriously? I saw photos of Thalia and I'm sure she would never wear anything like that". Thalia smiled and went back in to try the second outfit she had chosen.

A few minutes later Thalia walked out in leather pants and jacket, a white shirt under it and very high stilettos. She looked at her mom before looking in the mirror and she regretted it when she saw her mom's expression.

"There's no way I'm letting my sweet innocent daughter dress as a well a..."

"Fine! But I'm keeping the jacket and stilettos".

They went to a few other stores and got stuff for both of them before Eva pulled her daughter in a lingerie store. Thalia's cheeks flushed as she remembered Nate's comment. Was he hitting on me? No that's impossible! If he were then it would mean he likes me and I don't think that's possible.

Thalia was well aware of her beauty, but she had lost every ounce of confidence she used to have in herself. She tried all the time to show how strong she is when in the inside she still feels broken and dead.

She walked through the doors and looked around; she liked a few things but didn't take anything. She couldn't, not in front of her mom anyway. Her eyes met a baby doll, which she couldn't take her eyes away from. She walked to it and took the silky material in her hand feeling it slide smoothly between her fingers. It was a short pink floral nightgown trimmed in lace with a daring side slit. Thalia felt strong arms wrap around her and she didn't need to turn around to know who it was, his scent was unique and she could pick it up anywhere.

"You would look totally sexy in it"

Thalia felt her legs wobbling threatening her to give up. She took in a deep breath and leaned into him.

"Why are you here? Are you stalking me now?"

"Nahhh I'm here to pick up something for my girlfriend and I think this would be perfect" Nate snatched the dress from her fingers and pulled away walking toward the cashier.

Thalia stood there looking at him chocked. Did that just happen? Thalia watched him pay and walk out of the store not even giving her a second look. God she hated the way he treated her and acted all cocky and sure of himself. She wished she could do the same.

Thalia was getting ready to leave the house when the doorbell rang. She sighed and opened the door seeing James standing in front of her, his tall figure hiding the setting sun.

"James? What are you doing here?"

James pushed past her and stood in the living room folding his arms across his chest.

"Drop the act Thalia!" he snarled in her face.

Thalia looked at him raising an eyebrow and folding her arms mimicking his gesture. "What are you talking about James?"