Starlight

Lia's POV

"Um where do you think you're going?" I heard my manager, John, shout from behind me as I went to push the staff door open to go out the back. I turned round and looked at him.
"Excuse me?" I asked, squinting my eyes.
"Where are you going?" He repeated.
"Where do you think I'm going? My shift is done and my ride is here." I snapped and turned back around, pushing the door open and heading out. I heard the door close then immediately open again, and heavy footsteps behind me.
"What do you want?" I asked, abruptly stopping and turning around again to face John.
"You still have another half hour." He told me. I frowned and shook my head.
"No, I don't think so. I had a 6 hour shift today, 12pm until 6pm and I got here half an hour early. I finish at 6pm. It's 6pm." I told him in the simplest way I could, in case he was that stupid.
"You finish at half 6." He attempted to win. I gave him a deadly smile and indicated for him to follow me. I lead him into the staff locker room and opened the locker I had, with my shifts on a piece of paper stuck to the inside of the door. I pointed to today, where it clearly stated 12pm to 6pm.
"My mistake." He mumbled. I huffed and grabbed my bag, then slammed the locker door shut.
"Why such a rush anyway?" He asked. Did he really have to start a conversation right now?
"I believe that's my business, not yours." I said bluntly. He didn't move. I rolled my eyes and folded my arms across my chest.
"I have plans." I added briefly. He raised his eyebrows and took a small step backwards.
"At this time of night?" He challenged.
"John, it's a Saturday. For us young people, that doesn't mean going home and putting your feet up with the football on, it means exciting things. Saturdays are the days when people go out." I mocked him. He looked extremely offended.
"I'm not old!" He tried to fight back as I glided past him to the back door.
"I'm 19 John, that's what young is. And you can't tell me my judgement was wrong." I said. He scoffed and shook his head.
"So what are your plans then? Going to your boyfriends house and putting your feet up on his couch instead of yours!?" He attempted horribly at a come back.
"No no of course not," I said calmly. "However I do have a date, with my girlfriend," I stated, then watched his expression go blank. "We're exclusive." I added as I pushed the door open, then gave him a wink as I turned, the image of his shocked face burning in my mind, making me laugh as I went to find Demi.

I ran out the back door to find Marissa's car, whatever it was, I wasn't actually told what to look for. I walked past the steps I sat on in my lunch break and round the corner, then I stopped. What? Saph's car was there. Parked right at the corner. Why was Saph here? I thought. I went over to the drivers side and knocked on the window, seeing that it was Saph sitting there and not Demi in her car. She rolled down the window and looked at me.
"What are you doing..?" She asked me. I raised my eyebrows and took a step back.
"What am I doing? What are you doing? Why are you here?" I asked her. She sighed and shook her head.
"I'm picking you up, did Demi not tell you?" She asked. What the hell was going on?
"Um, no she didn't she said that she'd be here to pick me up, at 6pm, in Marissa's car. I spoke to her this morning what's going on?" I asked, completely and utterly confused.
"Oh um, she asked me to pick you up, she said she couldn't make it. I thought she would've called you or something.." She trailed off the end of her sentence. I pulled my phone out my pocket, which I'd taken out of my locker and shoved in there without even looking at it. I looked at the screen, 3 missed calls. Fuck sake...
"She did I missed them." I said quietly.
"Get in." Saph said after a while. I let my head drop, feeling my entire body about to shatter. What did she have going on that was more important? I sat on the passenger side of the car and put my seat belt on, then let my head rest against the window.
"Hey, why are you so upset about this?" She asked me.

So 3 months ago when we stayed in the barn, and Demi and I became official to ourselves, I never got round to telling Saph about it. Demi always reassured me that it would be okay for her to know, we both trusted her. She even offered to tell her herself to save me doing it. I almost let her one time but decided against it. I just couldn't live with the teasing from Saph. It would all be harmless, I knew that, but it would annoy me too much. So despite her being my best friend, I found it difficult to tell her these things. Maybe she already knew, she might have picked up on it by now, it had been 3 months. Maybe she was just waiting for me to tell her.