A Change Of Heart

Lia's POV

Demi ran. What else could I do but follow? She was already half way to the beach house before I started to move. I was so unsure of what to do. I took off quickly, my eyes blurring, in and out of focus as the reality of it started to kick in, along with the dizziness. As I ran, I tripped over a rock, landing on my side and knocking my head on the floor. I was sure I would've passed out if it hadn't been sand.

We were in the house before I knew it. Everything happened so quickly from that moment on. Everything was different.

"Lia your leg!" Maddie gasped as I came through the door. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked down to my feet, seeing a nasty gash from the bottom of my shin down to my ankle. I winced, now feeling the pain being aware of it.
"I tripped." I said quietly, my voice hoarse, as if I had been screaming.
"I'll run some cold water in the bath tub." Maddie said, heading into the bathroom downstairs. Dianna came to me and brought me forward, directing me to where Maddie went. Demi didn't move.

"What did you trip on?" Maddie asked as I ran the cold water over my leg, washing off the blood and clearly revealing the depth of the wound.
"Uh, a rock I think. Must've been hidden under the sand or, too dark or something." I said. Dianna was rummaging through the storage cupboards for some gauze.
"That might need stitches but, for now we'll just have to wrap it up." Dianna stated, lifting my leg out of the bath tub and onto a towel on the floor. I stayed sitting on the edge of the tub, as she stuck gauze pads to the cut, and wrapped it in bandages.
"You'll need to keep it up, try not to put much pressure on it now." She said, helping me get up and back into the living room.

We were all sat in the living room of the beach house, the lights were on low, and all of the drapes were drawn closed. I was sat on one of the couches, leaning backwards with my arms behind my head, holding my hands behind it, and my leg up on the couch under a cushion. Demi was sat on a couch opposite to me; she was leaning forward, but with one hand covering her forehead, her elbow leaning on the arm of the couch. She was kicking her foot back and forth, most likely out of anxiety.

"How do you know they got a shot?" Dianna asked.
"Does it matter if they did or not? We don't know, so we have to expect the worst." Demi sort of snapped, knowing she shouldn't because it was her mom, but still frustrated.
"We need to get you back home." Max spoke immediately as he appeared. Someone must have called him while I was in the bathroom. Yet, I was unsure of who he was talking to. Either way, if he was talking to Demi, I would have to leave anyway.
"Or to a hospital really." He continued, confirming he was talking to me. I looked up and gave a half smile.
"We should just go home." I said, bringing my arms down to my sides, pressing my hands into the couch and attempting to push myself up. Max stepped to my side and pulled me up. I could feel Demi staring at us, she was annoyed, to say the least.
"I'll wait in the car." I said to Demi, with Max helping me limp out of the house and to his car. As we headed out to the car, Max pulled the keys out of his pocket and unlocked it.
"You'll need to keep your leg up, so lay across the back seats. Demi can sit in the front." He suggested. I nodded, leaning against the side of the car as he opened the door. As he lifted me into the car, Demi came round the corner, and walked past us, opening the front passenger door and getting in. I tried to ignore the ignorance, but I couldn't understand why she was taking this out on me, it was hardly one sided.

*****

The car ride was very silent. Passive aggressively silent. Demi was purposely not speaking to me, and Max didn't have the radio on. No one spoke. We had been driving for a while, and although it was dark, I began to recognize the city surrounding us. I broke the silence.
"Maybe you should go back to your parents house Demi." I said.
"Okay." Was all she responded with. The silence continued. We drove for a bit longer until we reached the area where Demi's parents lived.
"Am I stopping here?" Max asked.
"Yeah." Demi said, monotonously. He pulled up into the driveway, and Demi was out of the car before Max had even stopped. She slammed the door shut, making me jump. I rested one of my palms on my forehead, feeling the tears well up in my eyes. I couldn't cry now. As much as I wanted to at the amount of emotional and physical pain I was in.
"Where next?" Max asked, pulling me out of my train of thought.
"Just home if that's okay." I said. He hesitated.
"I'll get my friend to take me to the hospital. I just want to get home." I explained a little. He nodded, and started the car up again.