Part 1: Chapter 1 - The Foreign Beauty

Aeso Mondaris

Feilds of crops covered in blankets of snow and blood splatters its purity. How many men have I seen fall at the end of my blade? How many men have I seen tremble in fear as I showed them no mercy? I have fought for my Kingdom for the better part of fifteen years and it never seems to end. There's always a new conflict or battle to be won. I grow tired of winning so easily against my enemies. My horse carries me forward, through the fields of snow and dead crops, to meet our enemy head-on.

The continent of Minera has twenty-nine other smaller kingdoms under the rule of The King of Ondaris, the biggest and most powerful Kingdom. Many of these other kingdoms do not want to be governed by us in Ondaris. Our Kingdom is the most feared on the battlefield yet the usurpers persist. They will have no peace until my family and I are dead. The soldiers across the field charging at me and my army, clad in their green armor, have wild looks of determination in their eyes.

Their battle-cries fill the air and send a shiver of excitement up my spine. Maybe today is the day I can finally find a challenge worthy of my sword skills. It has been far too long since I have had to fight at even half my strength.

"Forward men, glory in the heavens of Mithra awaits those who die on this battle-ground." I say, pointing my sword towards the enemy and gaining speed on my war-horse.

My men scream a war-cry of their own and pick up their speed, as well. With heavy winds, the snow falls harder; the air is colder and our armor is heavier than usual. The cold will kill half of the men on both sides of this conflict if I don't end this soon. I have my sights on the Captain of the Bangal army and he has his sights set on me as well. He is just as seasoned as I am in war, but I'm not sure of his full skills. I have never had the pleasure of fighting him directly on the open-field but today I plan to rectify that.

I will have his head for my father and for my own sense of self-pride.

As horse's hooves collide with the earth and armor crashes against each other like thunder, my horse finally meets the enemy and my blue steel sword finds the flesh of a low-ranking soldier. I split his head from the mouth up and he falls off his horse, the horses of my men trampling the body as they try to carry forward. Red paints my face and stains my armor, and I welcome the smell of death in the air. My sword connects with more steel as countless men try to get the head of the prince as their trophy. None of them will come close and I am barely impressed by the skills of them.

"Watch your left, Aeso," Kintair yells as he throws his trusty axe into the skull of a man, trying to jump onto my horse from the ground. "You owe me one, now." Kintair beams with a devious smile, riding past me and yanking the axe free of the dead man's face.

Kintair is my closest friend and ally; he's the only one I trust to watch my back at all times.

He is my father's top captain, and he has mentored me and treated me like a younger brother. I know of all the men in this army that I never have to question his loyalty.

 I know of all the men in this army that I never have to question his loyalty