𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟓𝟎// 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐊𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐝𝐨𝐦

It was surprisingly cloudy above the desert. Nico almost expected it to rain. At least they didn’t have to deal with the sun beating down upon them. 

A few feet ahead of him, Sorcerer Alderman and a soldier were signing to one another. Two other soldiers were talking in hushed tones, exchanging smiles. Hazel and Reyna were next to him, the three of them in comfortable silence. 

Nico was the first to break it. “How is Zhang? I was surprised he didn't show up with backup from the Shades, when we were fighting the Black Hand.” 

“He’s doing alright. I’ve been exchanging messages with him through the whole thing. He had to stay behind to run the palace, look after the council and all.” She gave him a faint smile. “You also said his name wrong. You don’t pronounce it like zong. It’s a bit more like john.” 

“Zhang,” Nico said slowly, the way she said it. “Zhang?” 

Hazel waved her hand, her smile growing playful. “Close enough. Just don’t mangle it too badly around him.” 

Nico chuckled. “Did you hear how I used to say Levesque? I said leh-vehsk, instead of leh-vehk.”  

“Both are technically correct,” Hazel said with a shrug. “Just please don’t say it like leh-veh-skew.” 

He giggled. “Hazel leh-veh-skew–” 

“Niccolò leh-vehsk,” Reyna said loudly, making him smile bigger. 

Hazel’s eyes widened. “Your full name is Niccolò?” 

Nico felt his face grow hot. “I should’ve told you. I don’t really tell others.” 

“How many know?” 

“Other than you and Reyna, Sorceress Blackstone knew.” His thoughts darkened–and not just because he brought Lou Ellen. “Bryce Lawrence knew as well. That’s pretty much it.” 

A beat of silence. Reyna broke it by giggling Niccoló, except she deliberately said it like piccolo. Nico tried to smack her, but her horse danced out of range. 

Hazel studied Nico for a moment, before asking, “Would it be okay if I used your full name in formal settings?” 

Nico thought for a moment, before nodding. “Of course.” 

“Thank you.” 

“It’s no problem.” He paused before giving a grin. “Hazel leh-veh-skew–” 

“Stop it!”

More silence, this stretching for several minutes. A question popped in Nico’s head. “How were you sending messages to Zhang? Were you using those amulets I’ve heard about?” 

“There’s only two amulets for now.” Hazel paused, then winced. “Well, there were two. Lou Ellen was wearing one when she died.” She reached into her shirt and pulled out a silver length of chain. It had a simple jade pendant, the stones dim in the cloudy light. “This is the only one now.” She shook her head, as though to dispel the bad memories, before answering his first question. “I know basic magic, and so does Zhang, so we were teleporting scraps of paper to each other.” 

Nico nodded, then hesitated. “Can I…learn magic? At least that trick?” 

Hazel returned his nod with a smile. “The Shade Council will want both of us to learn magic anyway. I only learned a little bit, but Torrington will mentor me. I’ll ask him about him taking you on as well.” Her smile went playful, and she leaned over precariously in the saddle to elbow him. “So then you can exchange messages with your lover boy.”