𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔// 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐞

Kayla rushed down the hallway to the prince's room, cursing under her breath.

The ball had left her exhausted, and she had gone straight to bed. Upon waking, she realized she hadn't tended to Prince Solace last night. She just hoped that he wouldn't be angry at her.

She stopped outside the door, catching her breath. General Jackson frowned at her. "May I help you?" His eyes were bloodshot with no sleep.

"I need to see the prince," she said. "I didn't help him change last night."

Jackson frowned, as though he was having trouble registering her words. "Now that I think about it, did Nico ever leave?" He yawned. "I'll go get His Highness for you."

He stormed into the room. There were shouts of shock, and di Angelo yelling, "Get out!" Perseus staggered out of the chambers, howling with laughter, nearly falling over.

Kayla frowned. "What's so funny?"

"You don't need to worry about undressing the prince. Di Angelo looked ready to do it for you."

"I didn't touch the prince!" Nico rushed out of the room, hands above his heads, as though he was being arrested. "I--I--" He stopped, blushing a deep red. His hair, once in a ponytail, was a tangled mess, and his shoes were gone.

"Are you sure about that, di Angelo?"

"We didn't do anything. I didn't do anything."

"Tell that to the marks on your neck."

Nico's hands flew up to his throat; finding no marks, he glared at the general, who cackled. "You actually fell for it. That's amazing." Perseus tilted his head. "Your lips are bruised, though. Might want to take care of that."

Nico covered his mouth with his hand. "I'll...I'll get my stuff and leave." He glared at the general. "You didn't see me."

Jackson grinned. "Sure."

Nico went back into the room, returning moments later with his boots on and his sword in his hand. He rushed down the hall and out of sight.

Kayla went into the prince's chambers, knocking on the bedroom door. "Can I come in?"

"Yes."

She opened the door to find Will sitting on his bed, still wearing the red toga from the night before. His braids were coming undone, rubies dropping into his lap and on the mattress. His mouth was covered in purple bruises.

Kayla grinned. "Looks like someone had fun last night."

Will's face reddened. "We only kissed."

She pointed to his mouth, "I can tell."

Will put his face in his hands, shoulders shaking with laughter. "Just help me get dressed. I have to meet with Jalgan in a few hours."

Kayla nodded, then got to work.

☀️☀️☀️

The second Jalgan saw Will, he smiled and took his hand, pressing a kiss to the engagement ring. "How are you, dear?" he asked, his voice soft and concerned. "You don't look so good."

As if Jalgan hadn't hit Will hard enough to bruise. As if he hadn't left Will in a state of absolute terror for hours on end. As if--

Will forced his fear down, a fake smile spreading on his face. "A little tired from last night's ball. Nothing more." And from staying up kissing Nico, but like hell was Will telling Jalgan that. He had made damn sure that the bruises on his mouth were completely healed before leaving his chambers.