𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔𝟖// 𝐂𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐬

Nico shifted his weight in the chair, staring at the floor. His name was called, and he quickly walked into the room to find Healer Avery Henderson in their chair. Guilt rose in his chest, but he shoved it down, not meeting their eyes as he sat down across from them. 

The two were silent for a moment, before the healer spoke. "You came back." 

Nico tried for a smile, but it came out like a grimace. "Surprised?" 

They frowned. "I don't know." Their expression softened. "But I am glad to see you." 

Nico nodded. “I want to apologize for my behavior last time. I shouldn’t have shouted at you like that. It was immature.” 

“Thank you.” Avery shrugged. “But honestly, if you need to yell, this is the best place to do so. I won’t judge you.” 

Nico nodded, and there was more silence. He was the one to break it. “I..want to talk about all of it. From the beginning.” Nico clasped his hands together, trying to keep them from shaking. “The only one that knows everything is Reyna. I…think it’s time someone knew it all.” 

Henderson nodded, their expression professionally neutral. "Say whatever you need to. I'm in no rush." 

He stared at the floor for a beat, fear crawling up into his throat, making him nauseous. 

The memories had been festering inside him for so long, like an infected wound. Allowing himself to finally talk about them was going to hurt, but he didn’t see any other way to heal. 

So he swallowed the fear back and started to talk, his voice shaking ever so slightly. 

☀️☀️☀️ 

Nico had hit his knees, trying not to heave onto the stone as the smell of blood invaded him. 

Bryce scoffed, giving a light kick to his ribs. "Get up. There's no time to be squeamish, boy." 

He tried to speak, but a sob burst out instead. He pressed his head into the stone, his labored breathing the only sound, save for the blood dripping from the corpse on the wall. 

Bryce grabbed him by the hair, forcing him to his feet. He yelped as pain arced through his scalp, then his side as Bryce dug a knife into it. "Worthless," Bryce sneered, his breath hot against Nico's cheek. "You worthless little boy." 

"Let me go!" Nico tried to fight back, but the man was twice his size. His mentor pulled him back toward the corpse, and he wailed his protest, clawing at Bryce's arms until he left scratches. 

"Look," Bryce commanded, forcing Nico to turn to the body. When Nico shut his eyes against the horror in front of him, Bryce cut his side again. "Look." 

Nico at last obeyed, taking in the body chained up and dangling against the wall. It had been disemboweled, its insides spilling out. Its head hung limp, hiding its expression. 

"Get used to this," Bryce said. "It's the only way you will be prepared for your future." 

Nico couldn't breathe. "What…?" 

"You are my apprentice. One day, you will take my place." Bryce pointed back to the body with his knife. "You will do these things, so you must learn now to stomach it. It's the only way." 

Nico wanted to scream. What gods had he infuriated to be cursed with this? He wanted to go back home, wanted to feel his mother's embrace and hear his sister's laugh. 

When he said so, Bryce laughed. "She's not looking after you anymore, little one. I am." He gave a bright smile despite the blood speckling his face. "I will look after you."