Fade Out

Fade Out

"...going to be..."

"...know..."

"...please just... save her..."

Words swirled around me as I tried open my eyes. Sal was there, which provided me with a sense of security but the words were all jumbled up, making it impossible to make any sense. I made a herculean effort to crack open my eyes, but only succeeded in increasing the ache in my head. Thoughts started slipping in my mind, filling out the empty spaces with blind panic. My baby!

"...seizing... call the..." the panic in that foreign voice caused my own panic to escalate. I wanted to touch that small mound on my stomach, to reassure me that everything was alright but my limbs just won't cooperate. Something cold touched my chest as the ache build up. Then, a shot of pain and everything went blank.

"Clear!"

'*'*'*'

I woke to the sounds of hushed whispers. I tried opening my eyes, but they remained shut. Voices flooded my senses. Shouty voices.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" Exclaimed the familiar voice of my father.

"Will, please..." Martina said something in a surprisingly subdued voice. I strained to catch the rest of the words, but my body did not cooperate.

Oh, for heavens sake! I mentally shouted at them. Tell me something about my baby!Tell me my baby is alright! I wanted to pick up my hands and check for myself that my foolishness had not cost me the most precious thing in my life. But, alas, it did not happen. And slowly the words faded into unintelligible garble as I drifted off to sleep.

'*'*'*'

The next time I woke up, I again tried to move my hand. Surprise, surprise, it didn't happen.

"It's not your fault, Sal. Stop blaming yourself." Naina's voice came from nearby. I wanted back her words badly.

"It is my fault." Sal said with vehemence. "I was a complete and utter idiot, jealous of some guy. My fault. My fault mia moglie(my wife) child... In hospital." He said, struggling with his words. This was bad. I had never heard Sal struggle with his words. He was always impeccable with his words and accent. But the good thing was my baby is okay.

"Oh lordy, Cassy!" Sims suddenly shrieked.

"Cassandra, baby please don't cry." Sal said as he gently touched my cheeks and wiped them, making me realise that I was crying. "Please, please come to me. Per favore, tornare a me(Please, come back to me)." He whispered, sounding close to tears.

No! Please don't cry! I shouted in my mind.

"Salvatore, her eyes! They're moving!" Sims shrieked again, this time close enough to make me wince. "OHMYGOD! She just winced! I'll get the doctor!" and with that, she went away.

 "Baby, come back to me. I promise, Non sarò mai in dubbio di nuovo. Ti amo Cassandra. Torna da me. (I'll never doubt you again. I love you Cassandra. Come back to me.)

And with those words, my world faded to black, again.

I had written this a few days ago and completely forgot to post it. Hehe, sorry.

Stop giving me that look, job hunting will do that to you! *stick tongue out*

The good news is, I seem to have come out of my writers block, so I'll try to post soon, But no promises!

Lastly, thank you so much to everyone who stayed with this story, even though the chances of me ever updating it looked slim! I love you all so much, and it is because of you that I am able to update it. So round of applause to you guys!

And don't worry, I'm one of those people who can't leave something until they see it to the end, so rest assured, I will finish it :)

And, vote, comment and become a fan!

Anna