The Fight

The Fight

"Where are you going?" Sims asked as I practically shoved things into my bag.

"Out" I bit out, still miffed. My short answer caused her to scowl.

"Look Cassy, if this is about.." she started but I cut her off.

"Yes, this is about what you said earlier." I said shortly, tying the strap of my shoe.

"You know I didn't mean it like that!" she said defensively. And she probably didn't, but I was gone too far to understand that right now.

"Sure, you didn't." I said instead as I stood up to take my bag. She grabbed my hand mid-way and held it.

"Don't do this Cassy." She warned me, but I shook her off.

"Don't wait up." I tossed over my shoulder as I made my way out. She said nothing.

'*'*'*'

To say meeting with Stephen was rather uneventful. He was in the city as a consulting architect and was going back home the next day. Turns out, he had a girlfriend and they were very much in love. When told him that I was married, he didn't even bat an eye and sincerely congratulated me. That eased some of the guilt that I had been feeling ever since I had stepped out of the house.

When our time was up, we shook hands and with a 'give me a call', we went our own ways. In the taxi, I went over my day and decided that I would try a calmer approach this time.

"Where the fuck have you been?" Sal growled as soon as I closed the door. He was sitting on the sofa chair with a glass of whiskey in hand. I took in a calming breath before straighten my spine and walking towards him.

"I was out with a friend for lunch." I emphasised on friend and his expression grew even darker.

"A friend? Is this what you call it?" he sneered, standing up. I took a step back.

"Yes Sal, he's a friend!" I almost yelled, throwing my hands up. "Just a friend." I repeated, trying to get it through his thick skull.

"A guy who wants to fuck you is not your friend, Cassandra." I flinched slightly at his crude words. He caught it, and his expression softened slightly.

"No, he didn't!" I burst out defensively. He shook his head at me, stopping me from saying anything else. Tears filled my eyes as I saw a finality in his eyes. He had already made a decision about this whole thing, about me, and nothing I can say or do will change it.

"What makes you so sure? Huh?" he thundered, before he took a few steps towards me. I tried standing my ground even as he towered over me. For the sake of our love, our child, I tried to fight back one last time. But his next words rendered me immobile. "Did you even tell him that you were married?" he asked in a suspicious tone. That did it. It was like a bucket of cold water, waking me up from the illusion of a happy married life. His illusion of a happy married life.

"Get lost." I said quietly, as my shoulders slumped in defeat. I fought back tears as I turned and walked away. I walked away from him, from us.

This was it. This is my breaking point. I was ready to talk this out, to approach this reasonably, but he didn't even give me a chance. Accusing me of something like this.. It made me want to throw up. I was at a loss for words as a numbness started spreading through my body. The confidence in my from a few minutes ago vanished as defeat took it's place. This is the end.

Though, I didn't reach far before he bellowed.

"Don't you dare walk away from me!" I ignored him as I went to the room we shared, locked the door and walked into the closet. Next, I took out my suitcase, set it on the bench, and started stuffing my things into it while tears poured unchecked down my cheeks. I roughly wiped them with the sleeve of shirt and continued packing. I had to get away from here. As minutes ticked by, it was getting harder to breath.

A loud bang on the door made me jump in surprise.

"Cassandra! Open the goddamn door!" he yelled from the other side. I didn't reply, but continued the task on hand. He banged again, this time louder. "Cassandra! Abre la maldita puerta! (Open the fucking door!)" I zipped up the suitcase and heaved it down from the bench. "Cassandra!" he yelled again, banging harder. I sat down on the bench, my shoulders shaking.

I asked him for one thing, only one thing, and he couldn't even give that to me. Was it so hard to trust me? Am I really so untrustworthy? Has it always been me?

Negative thoughts swirled in my head as I became oblivious to Salvatore. I tried to shake them out of my head, but this had happened one to many time with me. It can't all be a coincidence. It must really be me.

Amidst the self-loathing, a slow ache started forming in my belly. A moment later, it felt like someone had ripped open my stomach. I clutched it with both hands and I opened my mouth to scream. Fear engulfed me as I remembered the barred door. I tried to stand up but couldn't. When I felt something warm on my hands, I raised it to find blood.

Oh dear god! My baby! I panicked and started to stand again, but all strength had deserted me. A scream built up in the back of my throat but that turned into a groan of distress as the pain escalated. And before I could make another sound, my vision started fading. A whisper of a scream escaped my mouth as I feel from the bench, onto the floor with an audible thud.

So? Was the wait worth it?

Cauz I hate cliffhangers as much as the next person, especially the big ones, I'll be quick in my update. Pinky promise!

Comment and vote people!

Much love,

Anna