A New Beginning

As my alarm beeps, I scowl at the unfamiliar ceiling. I'm in my new house, on a new base, with a bunch of irritating special operations guys.

Though I didn't get much sleep, I drag myself out of bed, changing out of my pajamas and into my robe, turning on the shower. I can at least get a fresh start for the day, even though this whole new start doesn't feel fresh at all.

I stare at the shower wall in front of me, trying to inspire myself to put on a brave face.

I am Ivy fucking Cavanaugh. I'm single-handedly responsible for the cyber-takedown of one of the largest compounds in twenty years. And I'm only 24.

I look at my face in the mirror, reminding myself of all of these things, and am not able to find much motivation. I press my copper-colored hair tight to my scalp, twisting it into a ponytail for the day.

 I tug on my uniform, heading downstairs to face the day.

I arrive to the unit a little bit early, so I sit in my car and wait. The colonel of our division told me that she wanted to meet me outside so we could walk in together, and so I keep eyes on the door, nervousness building in my stomach.

I see a variety of familiar characters walking inside. Captain Price, "Soap" MacTavish, and Farah Karim all walk in.

Some members of the cyber team that I recognize from the file I was given upon arrival walk in as well. They aren't as jovial as the others were.

Finally, I see the colonel walking towards the door. Sighing, I get out of my car, and meet her at the door.

Excitedly, she welcomes me to the team, loudly introducing me to the intelligence division on our way to the cyber division, both of which are sections I would say don't appreciate that kind of thing.

"Welcome our newest member," Colonel Reynolds says, motioning towards me.

"Hello, Lieutenant Ivy Cavanaugh," I say, quickly shaking hands with those near.

"I'll let you get to it, then," she says. She walks away, her tight black bun a reminder that I am not in Kansas anymore.

"Lieutenant Cavanaugh," the apparant leader of the group says, extending an arm. "Here's your desk. We've dropped some mateirals for you to review."

Just as I begin to emerse myself in the work, getting back to what I at least know I'm good at, a loud banging takes place at the door.

It's one of the 141 members, carrying a couple of weapons. I pay no mind, returning to my work.

A blonde girl, about my size and age, comes up to her desk across the room. She looks up, seeing my new face, and smiles. It must be Captain Madden, one of the seniors of the intelligence division. She works directly with the Task Force. I am not jealous of her - having to put up with all of those frat boys everyday.

The giant figure of König trails behind, dropping her bag next to her desk. Leaning down, he whispers something in her ear, and she laughs. He leaves.

During lunch, I just go to my car, unwrapping the wrap I've made to eat.

The same member that I saw out of the corner of my eye earlier heads towards the door. He turns, glancing off towards the parking lot.

A black balaclava with a skull outline covers his face. He's broad, snake-like in his movements, and exudes an over-condfident energy.

Ghost.

I decide I am not a big fan of him, and return to my lunch.

When I return to my desk, I hear someone come up behind me, pulling up a chair.

"Hello," Ghost says, extending a large hand. "Are you new?"

"Yes," I say, barely sparing him a glance as I return to my work. "Ivy Cavanaugh."

"Which do you prefer?" he asks, his British accent rumbling across my skin.

"I prefer to get my work completed," I say.

"Ivy it is," he says. "I heard you're going to be taking over the one guy's spot. Do you like it here?"

"I only just got here yesterday morning," I say. "I can't yet make an assessment."

I feel his gaze burning into the side of my face. He must be counting my freckles to look at me this long.

"I'd be more than willing to show you around, if you'd like," he says.

More quickly than acceptable, I shake my head. "No, thank you," I say, not wanting to involve myself with members of the unit that aren't particularly my problem.

"Alright," he says, and a sharp "Simon!" sounds from across the room.

"That'll be Flora," Ghost says, nodding towards me. "Nice meeting you."

I don't reply, and he finally leaves me alone.

The rest of the day passes without interruption - I'm able to get up to speed and start working on what the rest of the team is. It's easy work, for now, at least.

I can't help but feel incredibly relieved when I finally make it back to my house.