Love

In the next three weeks, Simon and I grow closer than I ever thought possible. He spends a good four nights a week at my place, but we give ourselves the other three to "keep the mystery" between us, even though we're on the phone those nights from dinnertime until bedtime.

So, two months later, when Simon has exhausted us in a particularly artful way, we lay next to each other and he says, "Can I move in?"

And of course, the answer is yes, because I think we've both realized that the other isn't going anywhere. I would say we are moving fast, but we aren't, really, because we've known each other and even been friends for a while.

Flora is absolutely ecstatic for the news, throwing us a moving-in-together party after ushering us out of our own home all day. And of course, everyone is very excited about it, even though a moving-in-together party is definitely not a thing unless you're buying a new place together.

I start to get along even better with the rest of the group. To my surprise, Price and I strike up an unlikely friendship. He's very kind, gentle, and genuine - I learn that we both share a great love of reading, and spend a few evenings a month meeting to discuss our recent reads.

So, after seven months of being with Simon, it's to no shock when I find a ring box in his side of the dresser when snooping for a pair of boxers to steal for bed.

I pretend not to see it, of course, choosing instead to push it out of my mind, even though I'm so excited I have to force myself to not peek inside.

Two weeks after I find the ring, Simon suggests we go to dinner at the same place we went to before we first got together, and after, go for a walk in the Gardens, a place a thirty-minute drive away that I discover is where Simon got my flowers from, after calling every place open within an hour radius that fateful morning.

"I got you a new dress to wear," he says, sheepishly standing in the doorway of our bedroom with a garment bag. "I thought we could take some pictures of you in the Gardens."

I smile, stepping towards him and unzipping the bag.

Inside, a gorgeous navy blue dress, with a sweetheart neckline and a drop waist. I gasp at the tag - one of my favorite designer brands I'm sure he's seen me eyeing on my phone.

From behind his waist, he hands me a long box, that I open to see a new diamond necklace.

"My prom dress," I say, sighing contentedly. "You remembered."

"Of course I remembered," he says, as if I'm silly for not knowing he would buy me a dress, and a new necklace, for what he says is just a special 'night out.' He bends down to give me a kiss, and then leaves so I can get ready.

As expected, Simon is nervous at dinner, but I again pretend not to notice. Instead, I take a moment to tell him how grateful I am for him.

"Simon," I say, reaching across the table to hold his jittering hand, "I love you."

"I love you," he says back, stopping his finger drumming for the moment to hold my hand back. "You look so lovely."

"I know," I say, turning to the side slightly so he can applaud my French twist, new glittering necklace, and gorgeous dress.

He laughs, and I look at him more seriously. "You are everything I could have ever asked for," I say. "Thank you for the dress. And for tonight," I say, keeping the last word light enough that he doesn't think too much about my random burst of affection.

Simon smiles, and by the time we get to the Gardens, I think he's forgotten about his anxiety, and so it returns tenfold.

"Simon," I say, curling my fingers with his. "This is beautiful."

It's just us, and the twinkling lights reflect off of the beautiful flowers as we stroll through, me making sure to keep a side-eye out for Simon so I don't interrupt his chosen moment when I ask for him to take my picture.

We end up under an archway of the very same flowers that he gave to me our first day, and I have to blink away tears when I point it out.

Letting go of my hand, he moves a couple of steps away, taking off his balaclava. I know this is the moment.

He gets down on one knee, then, and my blinked-away tears quickly return as I see him looking up at me.

"Ivy Cavanaugh," he says, voice ragged. "You are the most rewarding challenge I've ever faced in my life. You are fiery, independent, and strong-willed, and I have become a better man as I've learned to know you. Will you do the honor of letting me be your husband?"

"Yes," I cry out, reaching for him as he slides the ring onto my finger. I kiss him, hard, and I hear the shutter of a camera a few feet away.

"A photographer," I say through my tears. "You got this moment on camera for me."

"Of course," he says.

"But... your mask," I say, reaching up to his bare face.

"Doesn't matter," he says. "I knew you'd want it to be us in this moment, not you and Ghost."

I finally look down at the ring, having been so lost in Simon's eyes and words I never looked at it properly.

It's massive, first of all, but I wouldn't have expected anything less from him - but it's also gorgeous, a square-cut, green diamond set in white gold.

"The color of your dress on our first date," he says, nodding towards it. "Do you like it?"

"I love it," I say, tears falling harder. "You put so much... detail into tonight."

"Of course," he says again, holding me close and kissing me once more.

Of course.