Jealous

In the weeks that followed, I ignored Simon completely, and he ignored me. Things were different - the tension was more palpable by the day.

The time for the mission draws nearer. I can't help but feel worried about the work I have put in to contribute - even more, I can't help but feel worried about Simon.

Ghost. Not Simon anymore, not to me - I have to keep reminding myself, in the brief moments the thought of him crosses my mind. My brain latched onto his given name so quickly, I have to get it out of me. What happened in the pool will never happen again. It crosses a professional line and a personal one.

On the one-month countdown, I've spent a full day at work, taking one five minute break. I finally decide to leave - this time, at the same time as everyone else - and gather my things, heading towards the door.

One of the intelligence professionals darts up to open the door for me, which I find odd.

I look at his name tape before trying to thank him - Captain Jordan, apparently. I don't think I've ever spoken to him before.

"Thank you," I say, smiling awkwardly at the random interaction.

"No problem," he says, and walks next to me as I head towards my car. He's tall and lanky, with brown hair and glasses. Cute, in a nerdy kind of way, but definitely not my type.

I try not to think about what my current type might be.

"So, uh," he says, doing the textbook move of scratching the back of his head. "I know we haven't really talked or anything. I know you've been busy."

"I have," I agree, slowly realizing the direction this conversation is going.

"I've seen you around, though, and..." he sighs. "I would like to get to know you more."

"Oh," I say, not very responsive. God, this is so awkward.

"Yeah, and I know it's Wednesday, and I'm probably asking too early... would you maybe want to go to dinner this Friday evening?"

Averting his eyes that are boring into the side of my face, I look down. "Well, um, here's the thing," I say, awkwardly smiling and finally looking back up at him. Ugh, he seems so sweet, I really hate to do this. "I have a lot going on right now, and I'm not sure if I want to pursue a relationship, especially not one at work."

I see his face fall, and I feel sad about it, for some reason. I guess Ghost has slowly opened me up to the world again.

That's a problem that'll need to be resolved.

"But I would love to maybe grab coffee before work," I say, hoping to mend the interaction. He's really sweet, and I hate to shoot him down without giving it a shot. "I haven't really made any friends here, other than Captain Madden. It would be nice."

I hope he holds onto the word friend.

Captain Jordan smiles again. "Oh, that would be great!" he says, clearly excited. "Is Friday morning okay? We could celebrate the weekend early."

I smile, opening my car door. "Sure," I say. "We can do the on-base coffee shop at seven."

A grin bigger than probably necessary, he nods. "Alright, it's a plan," he says as I get into the driver's seat. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye," I say, and he closes my car door for me.

I watch him walk to his own car, his walk kind of dorky in a cute way. Who knows, maybe he'll be a good friend. Probably not more than that.

I set up my music and shift the car into gear, passing by a too-familiar truck in the parking lot.

Ghost is inside, to my surprise, and he looks mad, staring me down. He must have seen.