02. Ain't No Rest for the Wicked

"I know I can't slow down, I can't hold back, though you know I wish could

Oh no there ain't no rest for the wicked, until we close our eyes for good."

The flashes of cameras blind Christian Horner as he exits the car. He waves and smiles despite the growing unease that pools in his stomach at the prospect of today. The press team has been harassing him since last night about the rumors swirling around Red Bull Racing and their driver's line up. 

First it had been questions hurled at Christian and his team about Brazil when Sergio Perez announced his retirement. 

Why is he retiring?

Is it because of Max?

Who will be replacing him?

Then it came to the newcomer, Matilde Schumacher. In Christian's book, she was the only option when replacing Checo. She logged more hours in the simulator than any reserve driver Christian has worked with. Schumacher would be waiting at the factory door before Christian arrived and would still be there, or in the gym when he was leaving for the day. She did her media work and brought a lot of good publicity for the team. But, what really sealed the deal was her showing at the Dutch Grand Prix. 

NO ONE had expected Mati to perform like that, especially not Max. He'd won the race but in his private room, Christian had heard the slam of a helmet against the wall. That should've been the first indicator that this partnership was doomed...but Christian didn't want to give up that easily. 

The Red Bull Press Team had worked to keep the two separate. Different days in the simulator, gym and on track. They'd even leaned into the familial connection and found pictures of young Max and Mati from when their father's had met. But, Christian couldn't keep them separate forever...testing in Bahrain would be the last time they could get away with the 'conflicting schedules' act. 

The sound of heels on the floor of the factory caught Christian's attention. It was Allie, the press team manager. 

"Christian it's bad. Max is saying he doesn't want to come for the photos." She falls into step with the team principal. 

"What do you mean he 'doesn't want to come'?" Horner's brows furrow at the statement. 

"His words were...and let me say again his words were 'if that f-ing Formula 3 driver with no future at this team is coming then count me out. I don't want to be photographed anywhere near her'." Allie winced slightly at the words. "Is it bad that I was expecting worse?" Her heels crack against the floor as more loud cheers come from outside. 

"Just send him a text telling him to get his ass over here. I'm not dealing with the prima donna shit." The yelling grew to an unmanageable volume, "can someone please tell me what the hell all that screaming is about?" Christian's voice made the room go silent. 

"It's Mati, twitter is blowing up about it."

"Well at least one of my drivers can get here on time." Christian pinched the bridge of his nose as the door slams shut. 

"She is being taken to makeup now, I'll give her a run down of the main points to talk about just in case Max doesn't show." Allie smiled nervously and hurried off. 

 Christian then took his phone from its pocket and tried calling Max. The line rang then he was sent to voicemail. Christian tried this three more times before opening the text thread with Max.

Christian: Get your ass here now max.

Max: sorry, no can do

Christian: You don't miss the car unveiling. We need you here.