03. Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene

"With her sweetened breath and her tongue so mean 

she's the angel of small death and the codeine scene."

BANG BANG BANG

"Get up Mat we gotta go!" My roommate's voice retreated down the hall...but the loud metallic clanging continued. My door was thrown open and the noise was suddenly much louder.

"You heard the man! Time to get up Mat!" My eyes flew open to see Logan standing at the foot of my bed hitting a pan with a wooden spoon. "Oscar is putting breakfast sandwiches in the microwave. If you don't hurry downstairs I'm eating yours–" Logan let out a small scream as one of my pillows flew towards him. "Hey! I'm trying to help you. Shower, put on that snazzy Red Bull shirt and get ready. We're leaving for the track in thirty." The door closed behind him and I slowly sat up.

The tiles were cold on my feet as I entered the bathroom. After a quick shower, I changed and made my way downstairs where Logan and Oscar were talking quietly.

"What took you so long? We don't want to be late on the first day." Oscar put a sandwich in tin foil and tossed it to me.

"Oscar, if I knew that staying in your room was going to be this stressful, I would have gone and crashed with Mick."

"Mat, that would have messed with tradition. That is not a chance I'm willing to take." Logan spoke through a full mouth and I laughed.

"C'mon guys let's not be superstitious." Oscar grinned, earning groans from Logan and me.

"As if you didn't sleep in your lucky socks last night." Logan covered his laugh as Oscar glared at me.

"Maybe I should have asked Mick to let you stay with him...let's go guys!" Logan and I laughed as the three of us exited the room. The drive to the circuit was lined with fans who smiled and waved as we drove by. Oscar parked the car and the three of us took a moment to soak everything in. We had all just been kids when the road to this day began. Now we sat, Logan in a Williams shirt, Oscar in Mclaren orange and me in the colors of the reigning world champions. Cameras were already trained on the lot as we stared through the car windshield.

"Well boys, I guess I'll lead the way." As I released a shaky breath, Oscar and Logan followed me out of the car. The sound of cameras grew and I felt a familiar smile fall into place.

"Matilde! What do you have to say about the comments made by your teammate yesterday?"

"Matilde! Is it true that Christian had to beg you to join the team after Sergio Perez left?"

"Matilde! Do you think it was beginner's luck in testing?"

"Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!" I grinned and a few cheers even rose from the crowd. "But, please call me Mati! We're going to be getting very close this seas–"

Suddenly, I watched the crowd shift as camera's began to move in double time. A cold feeling crept through my body as I turned to see who had arrived. That coldness turned polar when I laid eyes on him. His casual strut and lazy grin were the first things I noticed. Although his eyes were shielded by dark rimmed glasses, I knew the exact moment he spotted me. His gait only faltered momentarily.

"Max! How are you feeling about this weekend?"

"Max! How does this car compare to the 2022 car?"

"Max! Are there any teams you think may have closed the gap to Red Bull this year?"

I laughed bitterly realizing just how different the questions thrown at us had been. He didn't answer any of the reporters, instead walking past me into the paddock. Oscar and Logan were right behind me as we entered. It had been quiet when the three of us came yesterday to do a track walk but now, it was a frenzy of motion. A few camera teams were running around trying to get pictures and interviews. Mechanics hurried in and out of garages and marshalls were finishing safety tests.