08. Angry Woman

"I always say the things I shouldn't, 

oh what a shame my tongue's not tied,

you can do whatever you want,

I'll do whatever I like."

As soon as the plane landed in Jeddah, my phone started ringing. Allie, the Red Bull press team manager's contact filled my screen. Quickly I held the phone to my ear,

"Hey Allie, what did I do now?" I heard the woman on the other end of the phone exhale quickly.

"Mati, I need to keep this short but I just wanted to let you know that the media is looking extra ruthless today." My steps turned sluggish as I listened. "For whatever reason, it appears that reporters decided to take Max's comments and run with them. Different makeup brands have piggybacked, using your name in ads and things like that. Additionally, you and Max not traveling together has Christian and I doing damage control on our end–"

"Why do they care if we travel together? It's none of their business!" I watched Mick turn at the sound of my raised voice.

"I know, and personally I think you two spending more time together than necessary would add more problems than it would solve...but Christian doesn't seem to share the sentiment."

"Allie I–"

"Mati, I wish I could talk more but we have a strategy meeting in five minutes. Just be prepared for questions to fly your way almost as soon as you walk out of the airport okay. Keep your comments short and don't give them ammunition."

"Yeah thanks Allie."

"Talk later." The line went dead and I clutched my phone tightly.

"Don't give them ammunition."

That was exactly what Mick had told me a few days ago. Why was it my job to make sure that the media kept it clean? Why was it only me who found her name on the front pages? Why was it me who had to watch what she says? To not step on too many toes? To flash a smile? It shouldn't be my job.

"You okay?" Oscar and Logan appeared next to me.

"Yeah, that was Allie. She just said that my name has been floating around already." My friends tossed me a sympathetic look. We entered the airport and our exit was fairly clear. But, once we stepped out of the terminal and onto the busy street, flashes from cameras began to blind us. McLaren had ordered a car for Oscar and Lando, Logan was riding with Alex so that left me. I spotted my brother trying to clammer into a two seat car with Esteban and my pulse began to quicken.

Suddenly a camera was in my face and a thick accent shouted, "Mati Schumacher, how do you feel about Max's comments about your capabilities in the car?"

"Well I–"

"Mati, will you and Max be able to overcome your differences?"

"I don't think we really–"

"Ritual Cosmetics has announced that you use their products when you race, is that true?"

"Thank you all for the concern!" I shouted then turned to face the cameras. "In regards to my teammate, his comments do not affect me. I'll just look forward to proving him wrong. No, Max and I are not friends but we also don't need to be. We can get the job done just fine." Suddenly a red Ferrari pulled up to the curb and a smiling Charles Leclerc met my gaze from the driver's seat. He held up a piece of paper which had my name written in large dark letters. "Thanks everyone for these unbelievably stimulating questions. I really do need to get going...my ride is here." The cameras panned in surprise.