13. Problems

"You and me we're not the same

I am a sinner, you are a saint."

Silence isn't something I usually enjoy. In my experience, when the world is silent, something is always wrong. But, as I crossed the line to claim my first podium, the silence became comforting. Seb had been yelling and the cheers from my crew rose as well. Lewis waited and lifted me from the ground saying something but all I could do was nod and smile. Logan and Oscar found me and the three of us laughed in shock and awe of what had just happened. I didn't listen to the reporters who yelled at me as I blew past or even to the announcement of my name on the podium. There was only one voice that I wanted to hear congratulating me. But, that wasn't possible. My father wouldn't be at the podium or in the garage waiting for me, so instead I decided to smile, wave to the crowd and wait for sounds to return to my ears.

"It was nice to see Sebastian and meet Daniel." Leo's voice did wonders for the knots that had settled in my stomach.

"Yeah I think they really like you." I fought the memory of Seb's strained smile at the sight of my boyfriend.

"Your teammate...is he–" the mention of him caused a cold shiver to run through me.

"An ass, the worst, a sexist prick?" Leo laughed quietly then squeezed my hand.

"I was going to say full of himself but..."

"Let's not talk about him please. I just want to enjoy our time together. I mean, you're in Australia!"

"Don't sound so surprised. I've just been busy." He laughed bitterly.

"No, I know! That's why I'm just so happy to have you here." His face softened and he planted a kiss on the top of my head. "What did you think of the race?"

"Yeah you–you did good mia ragazza! No more work talk, we should enjoy a nice dinner and time together." His arm draped over me lazily and I smiled again as he shot into a story of some fans he ran into at the airport.

Leo dropped me off at the hotel after dinner. The lobby was empty as I headed for my room. Voices came from inside, letting me know that somehow people were already inside. The door clicked open and cheers met my ears first.

"There she is! Our podium finisher!" Logan was the first to stand and pull me into a hug.

"Logan, let her breathe." Oscar was up next with a laugh. The three of us stood for a second just staring, then the Australian broke and wrapped Logan and I in his arms tightly.

"Talk about needing to breathe Oscar!" Logan coughed dramatically which made me chuckle. Someone cleared their throat in the corner, causing us to pull away quickly.

"Sorry to intrude–" my mouth dropped open at the sight of her.

"Oh yeah Mat–uhhh–we found a reporter looking for you." We all turned and watched as Lissie Mackintosh stared at us.

"I know exactly who she is." I grinned.

"Well I am happy to hear that. I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for the interview, that video is blowing up on my social media right now."

"Anytime! It's nice seeing other women in the paddock, no offense guys." Oscar and Logan feigned offense as I laughed.

"Don't tell me anytime, or I'll take you up on it." She raised one eyebrow at me.