Chapter 1

𝙇𝙖𝙮𝙡𝙖𝙣𝙞 𝙅𝙤𝙣𝙚𝙨

     "Be so fucking forreal right now," I groaned. 

     I had just clocked into work and was kindly greeted with a file on my desk thicker than a bowl of oatmeal. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my job. Being a fashion designer has been my dream since I was a little girl and working for Telfar has felt like heaven. The only downside is my boss. My boss always assigns me projects without informing me, and then expects me to know what he's talking about when he asks me about them. My guess is this file is a project he probably could've informed me about weeks ago and now he's probably going to call me into a meeting and ask about my progress on the project I didn't know existed and is then going to yell at me about being more responsible even though I'm one of the best designers in the company. 

     A small voice brought me out of my thoughts."Mrs. Jones, Mr. Matthews would like to see you in conference room 4," It was my assistant. 

     "Thanks, Jessica," I replied with as much sincerity as I could muster. I shouldn't take my frustrations out on her, it's not her fault our boss is an asshat. 

     I sighed as I got up and walked out of my office. As I walked down the hallway I mentally prepared myself for my boss's bullshit. It'll probably be the same old "Laylani be more responsible, you're the best designers at this company and you don't even care about your projects," I found myself standing outside of Conference Room 4 and I took a deep breath to let out my frustrations as I knocked on the door. 

     "Hello Mrs. Jones," Mr. Matthews greeted. He silently side eyed me with a look that said you better not fuck up as he opened the door the rest of the way. "Ms. Carter this is our best designer, Laylani Jones. Laylani, this is Beyonce,"

     This bitch acting like i don't know who THEE Beyonce is. As in rena- rena- renaiSIANCE as in the Movah of House, as is the opening act to Blue Ivy Carter. Okay play it cool, stay professional. Get into your business persona, be Ms. Jones. 

     "Hello Ms. Carter. To what do I owe this pleasure?" I asked as professionally as I could. 

     "Ms. Jones, I was informed that you were the main designer for me and m daughter's Telfar wardrobe for my concert a few days ago."

     "Yes I came up with the concepts and the sketches, but I had to designate the production of the garments to my assistant Jessica due to an overload of projects,"

     "I would just love to say that you are an exceptional designer, I never seen anything like it before," 

     "Well thank you Ms. Carter, it's greatly appreciated," I beamed at the compliment. Thee Beyonce liked my work? I feel so honored. I can only imagine the cheeky look on Mr. Matthews's face at this. 

     "I love your work so much that I would like to propose a deal," She stated. "I would like to collaborate with Telfar for the next Ivy Park drop if and only if Ms. Jones works with me. I want her full attention on this line so I would transfer her to my office,"

     "What about her other projects?" Mr. Matthews queried. 

     "You do have other designers do you not?" Beyonce responded. "Have one of them take over her projects, it shouldn't be that many,"

     I had to disguise my laugh as a cough as Mr. Matthews glared at me. I currently have twenty projects on my plate that I'm aware of. We can double it if we add the projects that I am unaware of that Mr. Matthews has forgotten to inform me about. As well as the possible 20+ projects, I am one of the best designers here. I'm not sure if the other designers can handle that much. I'm head designer, who would take the load and Mr. Matthews's bullshit next?

     "Ms. Jones is our head designer and one of the bests, It would be hard for somebody to fill her shoes," 

     "Are you questioning the capabilities of your own employees Mr. Matthews?" Beyonce grilled. "I am very aware of Ms. Jones's status here as head designer which is why I personally sought her out to work with me on this new line. As a confident business man, you should be able to trust your employees to handle her projects while she is with me,"

     This stumped Mr. Matthews. I watched as he stuttered to come up with an answer. He's never been checked like this and it shows. It's about time somebody checked him. 

     "I am very confident in my employees Ms. Carter, I'm not sure why you would think that I'm not. They're just not as good as Ms. Jones and wont be able to handle the fifty projects that she has,"

     "The longer I discuss with you the more I question your competence. For starters, every good leader knows to never underestimate their workers and that you need to trust them. Second of all, why does Ms. Jones have fifty projects to herself? That's inhumane and terrible work ethic. It would be best to evenly divide those projects to the designers that you have left and to not overwhelm just one person. Now, I came here to make a deal, with you and Ms. Jones," Beyonce directed her attention to me as she continued her proposal. "Ms. Jones, would you like to take this proposal and work with me for my next line?  I promise that you will get 35% of the revenue as well as getting paid bi-weekly a minimum wage of $50 an hour,"

     35% revenue? That's at least a million dollars along with $50 an hour? I'd be crazy to not take this proposal. Along with this, I get to work with Beyonce on her next Ivy Park drop? At this point fuck Telfar I might just have to move to Parkwood permanently. 

     "I would love to work with you Ms. Carter, I accept the proposition," 

     "Wonderful. If you could pack up your things and meet me back here in twenty minutes that would be amazing. From there my driver will get us and take us back to my office where you will set up there and we can discuss the vision for this next line," She explained. 

     "Will do," I replied as I gathered my things and left the room. I tried to keep my cool as I walked down to my office. As soon as I closed the door I let down my facade momentarily. 

     "Oh my God I'm working with fucking Beyonce. Oh my God. Holy shit. Shit shit shit I'm working with theeee Beyonce. She's a perfectionist so I have to make sure that everything is perfect," I squealed. I'm a part of the Beyhive. I've been a fan since I was a kid. I even went to the Inglewood show on her birthday in Club Renaissance. Yea, I'm a HUGE fangirl. Keeping my composure is gonna be hard but my job depends on it now. 

     I walked around my office and started collecting everything that I would possibly need for work. My laptop of course and my art supplies. I prefer to hand design everything with pen and paper, it allows me to put my emotions into my art. I also added a few sentimental things I have in my office such as designs I made when I was little or pictures of me and my family. After I was sure that I had everything I walked back to the conference room where the queen herself resided taking a phone call. 

     "Do you have everything?" She whispered with her hand over the speaker. I simply nodded my head as she continued to talk on the phone. She finishes up the call a few minutes later and then directed her attention to me. "My driver should be here in around twenty minutes. Until then I want to get to know you,"

Author's Note

Thoughts?

Comment!! I love hearing your guys' thoughts and opinions! They really make my day. And besides, they may influence how the story goes. It's happened once and it may happen again.....

Stay fresh cheesebags <3