Kabanata 31

Abby

Sitting on the weathered park bench, I watched my nephew Shawn as he played with other children in the swings. His laughter, though still frail due to the previous rounds of chemo, was a beautiful sound that warmed my chilly heart.

Two days had gone by since my encounter with Hexon and Astriel at the mansion and I still couldn't get over it.

Perhaps I was developing a bad case of Stockholm Syndrome, or I'd become too codependent with Veric that letting him go was too hard.

Beside me, Colbrin couldn't hide the worry in his eyes as he glanced at Shawn, then back to me.

"Abby. There's something you're not telling us and I can feel it," Kuya Colbrin began, his voice low and filled with concern, "How did you manage to pay Shawn's medical bills? The treatment he's been getting in the US is incredibly expensive, and I know our family couldn't afford it. Like how?"

Kararating lang nina Kuya Colbrin sa Pilipinas kahapon. He and her wife had went with Shawn to the States to get their sons treatments in a high-end cancer research facility based in Iowa. Veric had secretly arranged their flight and accomodations without them knowing. And while they'd been in the US stuck in a research center, I was still Italy at that time.

I'd already expected the barraging questions from my family ever since returning from Europe. My parents were livid mostly at the fact that I'd been gone without any contact. They'd been worried sick where I'd been gone and up to. I didn't want to be put on trial like I was a witch on a stake so I'd done my best to explain the lie I'd fabricated: that I was in a business trip with my rich boss and he'd tagged me along with him to take care of his son. I didn't go into further details how I'd been shagged like a common whore in a cave, or how many times Veric had come into my mouth and pussy in just a span of twenty-four hours.

Now that Colbrin was back, it was my brother's turn to have his own inquisition.

I shifted uncomfortably, avoiding his gaze as I plucked a blade of tall grass from the ground. I had been dreading this conversation, knowing that I couldn't reveal the dark truth behind Shawn's treatment. The pact I had made with Veric was a secret I intended to keep locked away forever.

I should be free of it already. Now that the deal was over. But the secret would ruin me once my family knew about it.

They could disown me.

"It was funded by my boss," I replied hesitantly, choosing my words carefully, giving him half of the truth while keeping the other parts hidden. "He's a generous man and offered to help."

Colbrin furrowed his brow, clearly not satisfied with my bullshit response. "Abby, I appreciate your efforts, but the amount required for Shawn's treatment is astronomical. Are you sure there's nothing more to it? Baka naman ibinenta mo na 'yang lamang loob mo? Or worse, you just sold yourself out to that Veric guy."

Parang gano'n na rin.

I clenched my fists, torn between the love for my family and the weight of the secret that threatened to suffocate me. "Kuya, please, just trust me. I did everything I could to make sure Shawn gets the best care. Let's not dwell on the details. I'm fine. And Shawn's doing better now. Kailan ulit yung balik niyo sa States?"

"The week after. My bank account keeps receiving these anonymous deposits. I didn't know who was doing those transactions."

"It's definitely, Veric."

"Do I ever get to meet him again, then? Para makapagpasalamat man lang."

I shook my head. "I quit. His son was under the custody of his ex-wife now. But he promised to keep the money going until Shawn's better."