Chapter 9

Angels Pov:

I woke up the next morning with two texts on my phone. One from Cherri, and one from... Fuck. Val. Seeing his name in my screen made me feel sick. I know I should have expected him to contact me but maybe a small part of me hoped he would just let me go. A small part of me thought maybe he was able to change just a little bit.

I opened Cherri's first. I don't even want to think about the other text.

Cherri: What's going on with you? You've been acting really off lately

Angel: It's nothing, don't worry abt it

She doesn't need to know. It's only gonna make her more upset. And I don't want to bother her. She's dealing with her own shit.

Cherri: did I do something wrong? Me and Velvet broke up.

Angel: it's not you Cher. And I'm sorry you and velvet didn't work out.

Cherri: it's fine. But please tell me

Angel: just drop it. I'm sorry for leaving you at the bar, can we just be done?

Cherri: never mind. Just be miserable for all I care. You're fucking impossible

I tried texting back but I had been blocked. Fucking bitch, I don't owe her shit. I threw my phone across the room in anger. Realizing what I had done about 10 seconds after, I rushed up to my phone to see what the damage was. Thankfully it still turned on.

I saw the other unread message pop up. Him. The man that hurt me so much I can't even say his name. How pathetic. Here I am freaking out about one text from a guy I'm not even near. I opened it cautiously feeling my breathing quicken.

Val: Angel cakes, what have I said about skipping? There will be consequences. You better pray I don't find where you've been hiding. Oh wait. I ALREADY KNOW. Enjoy freedom while it lasts doll.

I felt the world pause around me. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't see. Two words circled in my head like a tornado. He knows. Im as good as dead if he's serious. I backed into a corner and felt myself sink onto the floor. Breathing was no use. I was gonna die. He knows where I am. Im fucked. He knows. He knows. He knows.

Someone walked into the room. I could tell by the footsteps that it was Husk. I don't want him to see me like this. I don't want anyone to see me like this. I want to die. If I was strong enough to get up I would take the entire bag of pills right now. I don't care what happens. I can't like like this. I can't live. Not with him. Not if he knows. He knows.

I felt Nuggs on my leg. Husk probably put him up there. He put his hand on my back. "Breathe Angel. Everything's fine." I barely heard him. The words in my head were louder than anyone. He stood up and held his hand out. "Come on. We're taking a walk." He said grabbing my hand and pulling me up.

I walked with him shakily trying to contain the tears and anxiety from spilling. We went several blocks and back in pure comfortable silence. When we returned we sat on my bed.

"What happened?" He asked not looking me in the eye. He's not very good at comforting people, but he tries. I couldn't talk. The words still stuck in my throat like glue. I just showed him the text on my phone. He squinted and read it.

"He's bluffing." Husk said with a scoff. The lump of anxiety was gone and tears poured from my face without stopping. "BUT WHAT IF HES NOT?? WHAT AM I GONNA DO?? I'M FUCKING DEAD HUSK. HE'S GONNA GET ME!" I yelled. "He's not gonna get you. We already talked about this. You're safe here." Tears continued to fall from my face. "But what if Al can't defeat him?! Or what if he hurts you?! I can't risk him hurting people. I can't. You have no clue what he's fucking capable of Husk. You have no clue!" I cried.

"You have to just trust me on this one. And I can protect myself." Husk said sitting closer to me. He wrapped his arms around me and sighed. "I wish I could make it better. I'm sorry." I hugged him back putting my head on his shoulder. "Hey Husk?" I asked quietly. "Hmm?" "Is it okay if I take the pills. I can't do this anymore. I give up"