CHAPTER 4: Him

The sun sees the moon sleep all day.
so it neglects the moon who
only wakes late in the night.
The moon is alone late in the dark night.
It faces the darkness and shines on the world.
The sun doesn't realize how hard that is.
The moon is always by the sun's side, protecting it.

↠◈↞

"I finally found you," he whispered. Fourth slowly raised his head to look at him. He didn't have to guess who it was, aside from Gemini, there was always a certain person who ran to him every time a big burden troubled him, and that was Mark. Mark was the person who loved him the most, even though Fourth had torn him apart. But despite that, Mark never left his side.

"Mark?" Fourth mumbled.

"It's been awhile." Mark bent his knee to be at eye level with Fourth and pulled him into his chest, gently caressing Fourth's head.

"I'm sorry if I was late, birthday boy," Mark said, and Fourth suddenly burst into tears as he remembered his own special day. Meanwhile, Gemini, just thinking about him clenched his heart and brought him pain. "Shhh, I'm already here. I won't leave you," Mark comforted him.

"N-Mark, my love finally found his home in another's arms," Fourth protested. "He finally found his way back home, but not in my arms, and I'll never be anymore."

Mark pulled away from the hug and wiped Fourth's tears away. "Fourth, tell me all your troubles, and I'll share your pain," he said with a smile to comfort him. Fourth nodded his head like a kid. "Good boy," Mark said, patting his head.

Mark sat beside him and filled Fourth's glass with alcohol, as well as his own. "Tell me what happened, Fourth," he sorrowfully asked him. Seeing Fourth in pain made him feel weak. Fourth was the sweetest person he had ever known, a person who always put others before himself, who always smiled even when going through tough times. Fourth was the bravest person.

"Don't act like you don't have an idea of what happened, Mark. First surely told you about it because of how talkative he is," Fourth laughed.

"Still, I'm here, Fourth, willing to share your burden," Mark said, his face reflecting the pain he felt for Fourth.

"Mark, am I wrong for telling him to keep me rather than step back and forget about the memories we shared? The love we both felt?" Fourth asked, his eyes filled with sadness. Mark just looked at him, not knowing how to answer.

"Frankly, I don't know what to say. Is it really wrong to hold on to someone who has pushed us away? Maybe yes, maybe no. As long as we're not hindering anyone's path, maybe it isn't wrong at all," Mark said, taking a sip of his drink. Fourth smiled bitterly.

"But... why didn't you fight for it?" Mark added.

"They usually say that if two people are meant for each other, they will find their way back to each other in the end. But our case is different. I don't see any point in fighting for it when someone isn't happy anymore. Even if you rekindle an old flame... and mostly, I just realized that it's hard to fight against fate. Our stars didn't align, so I let him go. Lastly, I just wanted to see him smile one last time," Fourth explained.

"You really do love him to the fullest, don't you?" Mark asked.

"Yes, so much. That's why I find it so ironic that I gave everything, but that everything is not enough," Fourth said, turning his gaze to his ring and twirling it around his finger. "Even if I give my best in everything, I will never be someone who suits him. From the beginning, I wasn't even suitable for him because I'm not a girl, and I'll never be."