V

9/24/18

Every day since they made it "official", Julia cursed the way her stomach filled with butterflies when they pulled up to his apartment. Five days straight she felt like she was gonna die when he entered the car. And the weekend didn't help, because then she missed him. She'd never been more excited for a Monday.

As every one of those days passed by, Happy believed less and less that this thing she was doing wasn't real. He knew Julia like she was his own. If he'd ever had kids he hoped they'd turn out like her, but he'd passed that point, and Julia kept him busy enough.

"You think my dad would mind if I threw a party?" she asked, looking out the window.

"Has he ever minded?" Happy pointed out, turning onto Ingram street, and Julia felt the nerves immediately. She adjusted her seat, fixed her necklace, making sure it was in place.

"Good point," she shrugged. "I guess the better question is if I can get him out of town for it," she muttered, biting lightly on her thumbnail. Happy's eyes narrowed in the rearview mirror.

"Hey, missy, you need chaperones," he said, making her raise an eyebrow.

"Like a household AI doesn't do that already?" She retorted, and Happy considered this, supposing it was true.

"Actually," he said, parking the car in front of Peter's place, so Julia sent the text. "I do believe he's going away this week, something about buildings falling in Vegas?"

Julia couldn't even be phased at this point. Sure, why wouldn't it be a life or death situation? Happy could've said anything about where her dad was and she'd believe it.

"Which reminds me," he began. "I'm not gonna be around to drive you Wednesday to Sunday," he said, and while it bothered her, she just nodded. She didn't like the other drivers as much. "They know to grab you and Peter, so don't worry, you still get to ride with your little boyfriend," he said, just as Peter exited his building. Julia was still making a face at the comment Happy had just made. "Speak of the devil," he added as Peter opened the door. Peter immediately looked at Julia to ask what that meant but she just brushed it off like Happy was crazy.

"He's kidding," she said. But as Peter sat down he looked between them, and wondered if that was true. "What would you say to a party?"

He was always amazed by Julia's ability to casually bring up anything, thinking that he would just be as chill as she was. But he couldn't match her years of practice.

"A party?"

"Yeah, I think I might throw one Friday? Would you want to come?" she asked, as if he had a choice. Did he want to? No. Was he going to, because he'd jump off a bridge if she asked him to? Absolutely.

"Sure." he wanted to die at how high pitched it came out. He cleared his throat. "Yeah, that sounds great," he said. Julia just smiled.

"Amazing," she said, looking down at her phone to start planning. This Friday, 8 oclock, BYOB because if anyone touched her father's thousand-dollar-scotch they'd be paying for it. She could mix up a few drinks, at least for close friends, it was something she'd gotten good at. And they were welcome to the vault of champagne, that much he wouldn't notice. A DJ, some party games, it'd be great. Over the last year or so she'd mastered the art of hosting parties, or at least started to. Her apartment was a prime location for it, too. She could fit the whole school just on the floor where her dad usually hosted parties. And really, everyone was invited.

"Sorry to just spring that on you," Julia said as they got out of the car, but Peter shook his head like it was nothing, even though he'd been thinking about it the entire way there.