six

mother knows!
chapter six

⎯⎯⎯ the one where the millers slowly join the community.

AS SHE KNOCKED ON the door, she heard someone yell, "Come in." River walked in and spotted Marcus sitting on the sofa with his dad. He got up and sighed to his dad, "River is here," before walking toward her.

They stopped in the kitchen, where River greeted her mom and Mrs. Baker, who were sitting by the kitchen island drinking wine.

"River! It's so nice to finally meet you. Marcus and Max have told me so much about you!" Ellen said with a warm smile, while Marcus glared at his mom and River looked at him with a small smile.

"You've been talking about me?" she asked with a hint of amusement.

"Shut up," Marcus huffed, trying to hide his blush.

Ellen smiled warmly, watching the two of them interact, while Georgia looked at them with a raised eyebrow and a suspicious expression. "Your mom tells me you've recently skipped a grade, how's that going?" Ellen asked with a friendly smile.

"It's going great, can't complain," River replied, sending a small smile to Marcus.

Georgia proudly rubbed River's shoulders. "She's my little genius. Very soon, she'll be leaving high school." River smiled at her mother. "I am so proud of you, peach," Georgia said before receiving a 'thanks, Mom' from River.

River expressed her gratitude to Ellen, who had also offered her congratulations. She joked about wishing her own kids were more like River, which elicited a smile from River and an eyeroll from Marcus.

The two teenagers settled on the couch, leaving the mothers to continue their conversation.

As River and Marcus settled into their seats, Ellen and Georgia resumed their conversation. "They're not going to the movies," Georgia said towards Ellen, while River and Marcus exchanged curious glances.

They sat watching TV, with Marcus digging into the snacks that River had brought.

"Cheez-Its," Marcus said, holding up a box as he turned to River.

"Yeah, I got you the big box because I know how much you're obsessed with them," River said with a playful grin.

Marcus rolled his eyes and shoved River playfully. "I am not obsessed with them, but thank you."

River chuckled, recalling how crazy Marcus had gotten over Cheez-Its the last time they got high together. He had spent an hour talking about how amazing they were until they finally went to a store and bought them. He'd ended up eating the whole bag while River stood there laughing. So, when they smoked, River would always bring Cheez-Its because she knew how much Marcus appreciated those little squares.