ten

when no one is around!
chapter ten

⎯⎯⎯ the one where the millers slowly join the community.

THE TWO TEENS HAD found a little corner of the locker room where they hoped to pass the time away from the crowded event. River went to grab snacks, while Marcus stayed behind, preparing a joint for them. She attempted to be discreet, but her mother caught her in the act by the hotdog cart.

Georgia greeted River with a playful smile. "And where have you been?"

Startled, River almost dropped the food. She playfully glared at her mom. "Jesus, mom, don't scare me like that."

Georgia leaned against the cart, still inquiring, "Sorry, where have you been?" She wiggled her eyebrows mischievously.

River shrugged and looked around, "Marcus and I set up camp away from..."

Georgia smirked, clearly amused by Marcus's involvement. Despite her reservations, she knew Marcus made River happy. "What's wrong with all this?" she asked, gesturing to the festive surroundings.

River sighed, looking toward where Ginny and her friends were dancing. "Not really my scene, plus way too many people."

Sensing River's unease, Georgia's playful smile turned into a concerned one. "You and Ginny alright, Peach?" she asked tenderly.

River took a deep breath, sharing her feelings. "I don't know. Since we moved here, I kinda feel Ginny hates me."

"No, she does not hate you," Georgia reassured her gently.

"Well, she acts like it," River responded.

Georgia sighed, lightly touching River's chin to make her look up. "You listen to me. You are the most special girl in the world, and it is completely impossible to hate you. Ginny has been acting difficult, I see that too. But that does not mean she hates you," Georgia said with sincerity and love.

River smiled, not entirely convinced but grateful for the support. She pulled away from Georgia's grip and said, "Thanks, Mom."

Their mother-daughter moment was interrupted when Ginny approached them. Georgia turned to Ginny, sharing a moment of motherly pride. "I knew you'd wanna dance to this one. It's one of our faves," Georgia said.

"Mom, stop staring at me. It's creepy. Can you go chaperone somewhere else for a while?" Ginny expressed in frustration, then added, "Mom, can you hold these for me? Thanks," handing over strips of photos.