seven

blue farm cafe!
chapter seven

⎯⎯⎯ the one where the millers slowly join the community.

PADMA WALKED INTO school between Marcus and River, her hand holding onto Marcus's. Ginny walked next to Marcus, occasionally sending jealous glances toward Padma and Marcus holding hands.

Max dramatically groaned as the group walked into school. "My mom is so pissed that we lied. I'm so grounded, she almost didn't let me come for callbacks today. What if she doesn't let me go to the Sophomore sleepover!"

Ginny furrowed her eyebrows and cast one more look toward Marcus as she asked, "What's the Sophomore sleepover?"

"Only the sexiest night of the year!" Max exclaimed dramatically. "It's when the Sophomores sleep at the school. It's what Sophomores get instead of prom."

Padma chimed in, "I can't wait for Junior Prom," with a smile directed at River, who grinned in excitement for her friend.

Marcus, on the other hand, seemed uninterested in the whole idea. "Isn't that not until May?" he asked.

Padma rolled her eyes with a smile, thinking he was joking. "You're such an asshole," she said before giving him a quick kiss and then dragging River away.

As they walked off, Marcus leaned against his locker, mindlessly texting and blocking out Maxine and Ginny's conversation. He hadn't noticed when his twin sister had left, leaving him alone with Ginny.

"Um... I know things have been weird," Ginny began hesitantly.

"Things aren't weird," Marcus said quickly, trying to brush her off. He really didn't want to have this conversation.

Ginny pressed on, "Uh... um, okay. We haven't spoken since, you know, you were inside me, so I'd say that's weird."

Marcus sighed, realizing he couldn't avoid the conversation any longer. "You seriously want to do this here?"

Although Ginny felt crushed after that question, she kept a glare on her face, trying not to let her emotions show. "I took a pill to be safe. Just wanted to let you know."

Marcus sighed and nodded, "Oh."

Ginny scoffed and grumbled, "Whatever," before stomping off down the hall.