C H A P T E R 8

Julz looked around his home with keenness, appreciating the decor that Onyx had picked so far out

Julz looked around his home with keenness, appreciating the decor that Onyx had picked so far out. He usually kept a tidy space, but she had his space in disarray. He took a drag breath as he stepped over the scatter boxes, and bent to stack them to the side. "Shorty got my crib a fuckin' mess." He said to himself as he walked through the large open space. She had boxes, paintings, and unassembled furniture everywhere that was tempting his triggers. He paused mid-step when he got to his seated window area. Unknowingly he nodded his head at how she had the small area laid out. His fingertips pass along the children's books lining the bookshelves. This space was for him and Jovi. It represented much more than books and snuggles. It represented their future, his fatherhood, the love he never knew he could internalize so deeply for another human. This space represented that Julius could love from the depths of his soul. Jovi gave that to him. It was so easy for him to kill someone, but even more brutal to live for himself.

"Damn," he said with a smile, as he pulled the book Oh, The Places You'll Go!

Her price did not match the quality of her work, or the sentiment within it. Based on this alone, she deserved well more than the measly twenty bands he gave her. Julz walked through the house, needing to place sight on her because her feminine scent danced around his space. He had so much gratitude for her, taking his small request and making it something so much bigger. He was never a religious person, but something about her seemed Heaven sent.

"You good?" Julz called as he leaned his frame against the door. Onyx jumped with fear as she held her chest, turning on her feet. Both their gazes hard on each other, neither having the thought of backing down.

Her mouth fell open but paused with hesitation, before clearing her throat. "Umm, I was looking at these fabric swatches. Just trying to get done as quickly as possible, so I can be out of your space."

"Did I ask that?" Onyx peered at him with confusion at his question. He could read her mind, so he reiterated his question. "Did I ask yo mean ass to get out of my space?"

"Mean?"

"Hell yeah. Ma, you mean as shit." Julz smirked and stepped into the room. "I mean, a nigga say hi to you, and you give me a dry-ass nod. You act like you can't speak, outside of doing your job–."

"This is a job," she corrected. "No need to be friendly, and ask about each other's day. This is a transaction."

The way his eyes darkened, was amazing to her. Julz mouthed a smirk, before traveling his slit eyes over her. Onyx swallowed hard before stepping back, adding more space to them than they already had. She had to pull herself from his gaze because the last thing she needed was to get caught up in anything further than what she had going on. Kawme, who wouldn't let go, and his wife, slandering her name with every word except a child of God.

"Is there anything else I can help you with Mr. Carter," Onyx announced.

Julz shook his head with a chuckle. "Nah... Nah you good Ms. Koné." He just watched her, as he tried to decipher every reason for the frown lines on her face. The slight bags, or why she walked with the world on her shoulders. Julz licked his lips, opening his mouth to speak, but the ringing of his doorbell took his attention. Heading to the door with a hustle, stepping to the side to allow his visitor in. Sevyn and him slapped hands in a quick embrace.