C H A P T E R 9

Scotlynd shifted on her feet as the morning air dressed her

Scotlynd shifted on her feet as the morning air dressed her. The temperature was so low that she felt that she was breathing in ice and exhaling the smoke. It was also metaphoric of her heart, that once beating tunnel of heat had been doused out with the water of lies. Her hands rubbed over her cardigan briskly as she leaned against her car.

"Scottie," the voice shrieked.

She turned her face towards the voice and felt a body full of joy, seeing Akoni running towards her. His tawny skin, and the slightest crack in his front tooth showed the boyish smile that she loved and craved so much at that moment. Scotlynd knew if there was one person of the male gender who would never disappoint her, it would be her baby brother. She jogged towards him, slightly tackling his small body and holding him like she never wanted to let go. Her head nestled in the small of his shoulder as she breathed him afraid of letting go of his scent.

Akoni giggled in her arms as they embraced. "Scottie, I can't breathe," he laughed. "You're squishing me."

"I'm sorry," she sniffled, wiping the tears that just wouldn't seem to stop falling. "I'm sorry," she said, as she wiped her face and grabbed him again. "Let me look at you." Her hand trailed his face, savoring his touch. His puffy cheeks had slimmed and he was taller. That little boy was slowly transforming right before her.

Scotlynd looked up as she heard the clacking of heels and was met with her mother's face. She stood and wiped the slight dust of the ground from the knee of her pants. Their stare was intense like the two didn't know how to be around each other. It had been years and there was no telling when their relationship would just become natural. Scotlynd knew she gave Londyn her bare minimum, but Londyn could only fault herself because it was what she accepted. What she allowed.

"How was your flight?"

"It was good, smooth for the most part. Not as scary for my first time flying," Londyn answered.

Akoni smacked his teeth. "Un uh, Mama lying Scottie. She practically squeezed my hand off," Akoni argued.

"Boy hush! Scotlynd, how are you, baby? You look good," Londyn smiled.

"Thanks... So, no Zahir." Scotlynd tried to control the annoyance on her face when Londyn said no. He was what kept them glued together, who was the strong force that kept them from their demise over the years. Scotlynd gave a tight smile and walked over and grabbed the bags from her mother placing them in the trunk. The ride was quiet for the most part besides Akoni and his TikToks.

Scotlynd bolted for the door as the car inched to a halt, but Londyn reached out and grabbed her. She wanted to snatch away but didn't want to be disrespectful in front of Akoni. Because although she may not have had the best relationship with her mother, she didn't want him to think it was okay for him to do. She sat quietly with slit eyes, as she watched her brother open the door and practically dash to the storefront.