Chapter 49 - Projection (7)

With the appearance of Kang Woojin, ‘Exorcism’, which had captivated the eyes of many heavyweights, reached its climax as the background changed to a villa.

-Sigh.

The realistic sound quality was impressive. When the scenes and sounds merged, the villa on screen appeared chillingly eerie. Kim Ryu-jin’s anxious expression that appeared in that cut intensified the chill. It was enough to make dozens of directors watching this swallow their saliva.

At this time.

[“Oops.”]

In the tense atmosphere, Kim Ryu-jin on the screen stumbled clumsily. His meticulous movements alleviated the fatigue of the elite audience. In fact, about half of them chuckled. Of course, some were also impressed by Kang Woojin’s acting.

That’s how ‘Exorcism’ gradually led the audience into the horror of sound.

At the forefront was Kim Ryu-jin of ‘Exorcism’, trapped in a confined space. The rustling noises from somewhere, the breath of a hidden woman, the footsteps of a robust man approaching, and so on. The movie rapidly progressed, but the expressions of Kim Ryu-jin captured on screen were simply exquisite.

Tension, urgency, relief, surprise, tension again, fear, relief again.

There weren’t many lines. But Kim Ryu-jin’s expressions and movements alone conveyed everything. Eyes filled with constant anxiety and shaky breaths. His performance was detailed yet precarious.

Everyone was captivated by Kim Ryu-jin.

‘Exorcism’ used an editing style that made it impossible to look away. From the moment Kim Ryu-jin entered the villa, there was no pause. It stood out in terms of quality compared to other short films shown. The judges, seated to the left, couldn’t help but exclaim in awe.

“······Where did that actor come from?”

“That’s what I’m saying, look at the twitch under his eyes. The skill gap with other actors is too big.”

“But has anyone seen that actor before? He looks unfamiliar to me.”

Then,

“He’s not well-known here. He’s been abroad.”

Director Kwon Ki-taek, a contagious source of misunderstandings, spoke up among the judges.

“I heard he stayed abroad for quite some time.”

Hearing this, the judges’ eyes widened in surprise.

“Oh? Director Kwon, do you know him?”

“An actor you know?”

“Abroad? Where?”

To the barrage of questions, Director Kwon Ki-taek softly replied.

“I don’t know the details, just heard about it because of a minor connection.”

Following the drama industry, the number of people infected by the misunderstandings also surged in the film industry. When ‘Exorcism’ finally ended, the sound of applause was,

-Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap!!

It was definitely more intense than any other work.

Two days later, May 7th.

The screening schedule of the ‘Mise-en-scène Short Film Festival’, which had been intense up until yesterday, had all concluded. Now only one event remained: the upcoming closing and awards ceremony. Currently, it was just past 2 pm, with the event set to start at 3 pm. The venue for the closing and awards ceremony was inside the office building of the new ‘Mise-en-scène Short Film Festival’ sponsor.