magical bus

August 4th, 1984 - New York, United States
------

"Hi Luna"

Just those two words melt my heart. It's so simple but Xavier failed by doing that. When he was drunk, he would forget my name and call me "Kat", I still don't know who that is.

I shyly say hi back. I don't know if it was intentional but Cliff moved over a bit, letting Kirk sit next to me, leg to leg. There was enough room on this bench for all of us.

I ask them how they were doing and then I say "heard you guys were leaving New York tomorrow evening". Lars whispers to Cliff "you weren't supposed to tell her till tonight", Cliff shrugs and hands me a cigarette probably thinking I didn't hear them.

I take the cigarette and smoke, blowing it away from Kirk just in case he doesn't smoke. It was driving me insane so I looked at him and asked if he smoked. He said yes so I passed him the cigarette. He tilts his head back a little, letting the smoke disappear in the air before turning his head to me, smiling just a bit.

He passes the cigarette back to Cliff. I button my jacket, it's kinda chilly out here now. Kirk whispers to me "if you're cold, we can take you somewhere to warm up". As if I didn't have enough chills, that just sent more down my spine. "I'm okay thank you" I say smiling at him.

Kirk whispers something to James. James stands up and says "alright, you get free access to our bus". Not knowing what to properly say, I go "you don't have to, I don't wanna waste all your time while you're here in New York." Lars jumps in and says "don't sweat it, come on, follow us". "Okay, take me to your "magical" bus" I say, earning a small chuckle from Kirk.

Lars & James walk in the front as I'm behind them, with Kirk on one side and Cliff on the other. Cliff looks down at me and says, "you're so cool, you know?" I smiled, thanking him and returning the compliment.

I catch up to Lars, trying to make small talk since we haven't talked much at all. "I used to drum, for a few years actually". Catching his attention, he says "really? A girl like you is like me? You'll have to show me sometime".

Kirk scoffs quietly to himself behind me. I turn around to see him with his hands in his jacket pockets, looking at his feet as he walks. I frowned, hopefully I haven't upset him already. We continued walking until we reached the bus, it didn't take too long. I think they parked away from the bench so crazy fans didn't show up.

As we reach the bus, I tap Cliff's arm, asking for another cigarette since I already had the last of mine earlier. He had no problem giving me one of his, he even lit it for me. What a sweetheart I thought to myself. "I'll be on the bus soon, just give me a few minutes". They all nod and walk in, shutting the door behind them.

I walk a few steps to the nearest store and sit on the ground outside it, my back against the wall. I begin to peoplewatch, a hobby of mine. I'm always curious on how others live & what their lives are like. I hear the bus door open and see Kirk walking towards me.

He sits down next to me, looking around to peoplewatch too. He breaks the silence, "we leave tomorrow evening". I sigh again, "I know".

"I hope you know we all really like you, that's why we're hanging out with you. Cliff thinks your cool, you and Lars have something in common. James hasn't said much. And me, I like you a lot too Luna." His words make me smile to myself, I never thought I'd be sitting here becoming friends with one of my favorite bands. Rose would be so happy for me.

Kirk snatches the cigarette out of my fingers, it almost burned out on me again. "You gotta be careful Luna, how old are you?". Hoping it wouldn't change the bands mind on hanging out with me, I reply "almost 18". Kirk replies "big 18 huh?". "Almost", I said.

"Let's get inside, it's starting to get cold out here" Kirk says. He flicks the cigarette and walks me back to the bus. We walk inside to see Lars on a small couch, using his drumsticks on the table, and to see James on the other end resting his eyes. Cliff's in the corner on the ground also resting his eyes. We gained their attention as we walk in.

Kirk allows me to walk in first and I decide to sit next to Cliff, allowing Kirk to sit beside us too. "Nice bus you got here, rooms almost bigger than mine", I say. James replies "it's not the best but it gets us wherever we wanna go". Kirk excuses himself and goes to what I assume is the mini bedroom.

Cliff whispers to me, "he's still anxious, he'll be fine soon just ignore it". I nod and excuse myself to the restroom. As I make my way out the restroom, I go see where Kirk took off too. I slowly open the door to see Kirk playing an acoustic guitar softly. He looks up at me and stops playing. I sit next to him on the small bottom bunk bed. "Is something wrong?" I ask him. "I'm just tired". I nod in agreement and say I'm tired too.

"Why don't you rest up? I mean if you guys have no plans for the day, might as well do it". I suggest. Kirk replies, "but you're our guest, I shouldn't sleep now". I chuckle and explain that I'll be fine and that I can hang with the others. He gives in and decides to take a quick nap. I walk out and join the others in the main area, sitting down next to James this time.

Am I weird for wanting to stay in that room? Get your shit together Luna, for God's sake you barely know these people.

----

1046 words.