Chapter 3: First (Official) Day

Sam Krieger was at Action City with Obi, Lance, Jack and three other Death Angels. She learned that their names are Nhia, James, and Elizabeth. Sam had been training with Obi for a day and had gotten to know the other death angels during breakfast. Obi had been a death angel for close to 200 years, killed in a failed slave revolt in South Carolina. Lance and Jack were former athletes in the 1890's and 1930's respectively and died on the field and ring respectively. Nhia was a bank manager who was shot to death in a bank robbery gone wrong. James was an African American teenager living in Milwaukee in the 80's when he was picked up by the cops and taken to a white working-class area and was shot by a pseudo-Irishman 20 minutes later while trying to make his way home. Elizabeth was the wife of a settler in the 1880s. Wyoming when she died during childbirth.

Sam looked at Obi before speaking. "So, what am I going to do?"

"Someone in the building is set to die." Obi started explaining. "Your duty is to look for that person and prepare that person for death."

Sam nodded. "You'll know the person as the person will be surrounded by a red light." Elizabeth told her.

"Got it." Sam said nodding again before entering the building.

"Do you think she will get it done?" James asked.

"We will see." Obi said. "We all had this test to see if a death angel has what it takes."

James put his hand on the back of his head. Lance looked at Jack and grinned. "50 bucks says that she won't go through with it."

"Deal." Jack said.

Nhia rolled her eyes at them. While James laughed at them, Elizabeth glared at them. Obi just looked at the building stoically.

"You two are gambling on this what kind of angels are you?" Elizabeth scolded.

"The bored kind." Jack and Lance said simultaneously.

"Leave them be Elizabeth." Obi ordered. "To perform this duty, you need to have a screw loose."

In Action City, Sam was walking around looking for a red light. Looking around she saw children having fun in the water park while their parents were relaxing enjoying the time away from work. Not finding anyone with a red light surrounding them she went to the arcade where she found it.

The light surrounded a boy no older than 10 playing Grand Turismo. His head didn't have a single strand of hair. He was smiling, turning the wheel, and racing against the other cars in the game.

Pulling out her scythe she starts to walk over, only to pause as she starts doubting herself. She continues to watch the kid for a few seconds before rubbing his head in pain from a headache.

'He doesn't have long.' She thought. 'Obi told me that we only prepare them so they can go to their destination and if they don't prepare them then the souls will become poltergeists.'

The thought of the boy being a poltergeist frightened her. The boy, miserable and attacking anything around him. The only release he would have would be from the blade of another death angel's scythe and would have his soul utterly destroyed.

Making her decision right then and there, she teleported beside the boy and swung the scythe like a golf club stabbing him through the back. Looking at the boy, she saw that he was unharmed, but the red light that surrounded him was gone. He continued playing the game never noticing the death angel and never feeling the stab in the back. Looking away she teleported out of Action City and in front of the other death angels.

Jack smiled. "So how did it go?"

"It's done." Sam responded.

Jack's smile widened even further. "Fifty dollars please."

Lance grumbled before pulling out a fifty-dollar bill before slapping it down on his friend's outstretched hand. "Thank you, my friend." Jack said smiling.

Elizabeth glared at the two before walking towards Sam. Grabbing her hands, she reassured Sam that she did a good job. Sam thanked her, a blush deep on her face.

"So, I guess we have you with us then huh." James said.

"Hey, our load is lessened so don't complain." Nhia told him sternly.

"Regardless I have assignments for you all." Obi announced to his fellow death angels. "But we will be getting together at Dooley's at 7 for food and drinks."

"Yeah!" Lance and Jack shouted.

Everyone else smiled glad to unwind for a bit. Even Sam smiled happy to do something normal after everything that happened to her.

Thank you all for reading. I hope you are enjoying the story and I can't wait to show more. Please leave a comment, I enjoy constructive feedback. Hit the star button if you enjoyed the story and hope you all are doing well.