Chapter 12: Jack vs. Oliver

Warning: This chapter contains abusive and xenophobic language.

Oliver swung his club at Jack who used his scythe to block each swing. It was getting harder to block as Oliver increased the power with each swing. Jack kept at it until Oliver's club connected with Jack's stomach sending him flying into a cornfield. Jack quickly stood up and turned his scythe into spiked brass knuckles.

"You know, I am quite disappointed." Oliver said condescendingly through the cornfield.

"Why's that?" Jack asked moving through the field.

"Because I was told that we should fear death angels, but I saw two negros, one of them leading you, three women, and one of those women being an oriental." Oliver explained. "I heard that your name is Jack correct?"

"Yeah."

"Irish, I assume?"

"That's where my ancestors came from." Jack replied.

"Still stink of them when I last visited your homeland a bunch people that couldn't get out of the squaller from the famine."

"That's what happens when a people is only allowed to keep the potatoes while the Anglos Saxons take everything else."

"Well, what do you expect, we can't let an uncivilized people close to our island just prance around." Oliver explained. "You papists always seem to breed like rabbits and soon you will have overwhelmed us like a flood."

"Oh, I heard that bullshit all the time when I was alive." Jack said rolling his eyes. "So, what were you like the enforcer for your royal majesty in my ancestor's homeland."

"No, I enforced the law in India." Oliver started fondly. "It was fun making sure that those mongrels didn't think that they could be better than their betters."

"You don't sound like you are better, you sound like you're a small yappy dog."

Oliver found Jack, his back facing him. Oliver slowly made his way toward the angel. He pulled his bottom back and swung only for Jack to dodge and punch him in the stomach sending him flying backwards.

Jack then ran in Oliver's direction, ready to deliver another punch when he had to dodge an attack from Oliver's club, then delivered a punch to his left shoulder. Oliver kept his attack up only for Jack to dodge each one and for Jack to then deliver blows above the belt. Sometime later Jack was able to land a strong right hook to Oliver's chest sending him flying backwards again.

Oliver quickly got up and hid in the corn field. "So, where's your gardening tool?"

Jack grinned as he entered the cornfield. "Death Angels can transform our scythes into an object we are most comfortable with."

"Well, it won't help you." Oliver said with fear laced in his voice.

"It already has." Jack said laughing.

Oliver swung his baton towards the voice only for nothing to be there. "Miss me ya limey bastard." Jack taunted.

Oliver swung again and again, not hitting anything. "Where are you, you Mick."

"Right here." Jack said.

Oliver turned around and swung at him, but Ryan ducked beneath the strike and made quick punches at Oliver's stomach five times. Taking a deep breath, time seemed to move slowly as he readied a haymaker.

1930 Boston, MA

Jack was sitting at the dining room table with his family. His Pa was at the head of the table eating his small helping of meatloaf while his ma was feeding his youngest sibling. His five other siblings were eating their portions with a little squabble that was easily broken up by a glare from his Pa. Jack was not really eating his food, just moving it around knowing that he will have to tell them.

"I was offered the chance to go pro, and I accepted." He told them.

The family stopped and dropped their forks. Jack took a bite of his meatloaf like it was his last. He looked up to see his mother on the verge of tears and his father glaring at him. His siblings just looked at each other looking for an opportunity to escape the incoming explosion from their father.

"You have a job at the docks." His father said sternly.

"Lost in the last round of layoffs, no need for more workers they said." Jack said, taking another bite of his food. "I have been doing odd jobs and fighting in Dooley's basement."

His mother gasps and the younger sibling that can run, ran away from the table. His father just glared at him before he looked down sadly. "Your right I have been working at the docks for so long, but I may not have one soon."

Jacks father looked defeated. "I am not happy that you are putting your like on the line but with Hoover leading us, I have no hope that it will get better."

"Just please stay safe." Ma said.

"I will ma."

In the ring 2 years later, he was fighting Max Baer in the ring. He knew that he accidentally killed someone in the ring, but he wasn't worried he had been fighting and training for this moment. It was the seventh round, and yeah, he was having a hard time, but he got plenty of hits in. He would keep going, but a hard punch to the head sent him to the ground.

To him everything turned quite nothing made noise, not the bell not his coach, not the ref, not even the crowd. Slowly he closed his eyes for the final time in his life.

Jack's haymaker connected with Oliver's head. The force and power strong enough to not only destroy Oliver's head but also the corn moved from the wind the punch produced. Oliver's body turned to dust and scattered in the wind.

Breathing heavily, he started to go through the corn field ready to fight the denizens' leader. 'I hope to see you in heaven when I finish my duties as a death angel.'

Thank you all for reading. I hope you all are doing well, please hit the star button leave a comment. Again thank you for reading.