t w e n t y f i v e

I just kept running and running. The branches of the jungle trees smacked me, hitting my face and body with force but it didn't even slow me down.

Not even the sound of Buggy yelling after me slowed me down. If anything, it sped me up. I wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

Suddenly, after what felt like a lifetime of running, I felt his hand tangled onto the back of my outfit, yanking me backwards hard.

I fell to the ground with a thud! Everything in me screamed to get back up, to keep running but even if I tried, my legs were just too sore to keep running.

When I looked around, I didn't actually see Buggy. His hand, which had grabbed me, had been detached from his body. That didn't get any less creepy - no matter how many times I saw it.

Buggy finally emerged from the trees, almost tripping over me with how fast he was running. He heaved and panted, standing with his hands (well one hand) on his knee.

"You... ar... are... a nightmare!" He yelled out at me through strained breathing. "What's...wr - wrong w-ith..."

"I just wanted to be as far away from you as possible," I told him bluntly.

"Isn't that nice? One second, you're all over me, and the next, you're literally running from me. You're sending mixed signals, baby."

I could tell he was trying to joke with me, but there was real hurt, or anger maybe, laced in his voice.

"I know I am."

He gave me a bemused look. "You're luckily you're so valuable to me."

The map. If it weren't for that stupid map, or for him destroying it, I'd be back home right now. That's all I wanted.

"I'm sorry," I finally said. It felt silly, apologising to him, but it did feel like it was owed. "I shouldn't have kissed you."

Buggy got down on the ground, sitting next to me with his legs in a basket as he re-attatched his hand.

"I'm not sorry you kissed me, or that I kissed you. It was fun, wasn't it?" He asked in a lull.

I turned to look at him. He was looking back at me with an indescribable look on his face.

"It was...but it was also wrong."

He sighed heavily. "Says who?"

"Says me! And everyone else from my town would say it was wrong too. God, if my family ever found out they'd... they'd be so ashamed of me."

"They never have to find out. I'm not going to be going around telling everyone."

That sounded surprisingly genuine. A part of me still yearned for him, for his touch. But I knew I couldn't have it. I just couldn't.

"Plus," Buggy added. "Everyone already thinks we are hooking up, anyway."

"I'm still angry about that."

"I know you are." That sounded bitter. I guess I couldn't blame him for being annoyed that I didn't want peope to think that about us. "You're shivering."

He was right, I was. I hadn't even noticed that I had been. "It's freezing."

Buggy got to his feet, offering me a hand up. I took it. The feeling of his skin against mine was electrifying and I hated it.

"Let's see if we can find our way out of this jungle," He said through a sigh. "We're pretty deep in."

I hadn't even thought about us getting out of this thick jungle.