Chapter 47

Aiden's POV

        I woke up in a fright. I swear every time I get a nightmare it's awful. I always wake up with my heart beating fast against my chest. I'm shaking and trying to catch my breath and come back to reality. I'm doing exactly this right now.

        I tighten my grip on Claire, pulling her closer, but not hurting her. She shifts a little and then her tired eyes pop open. She looks down at me and I turn and sit up and try to act normal. I've never told her about the nightmares and I don't know how or if I can. It just might be a little too much to explain how I felt 5 years ago. I don't think I'll ever be able to let it go. My mom has tried to get me to open up, and I think that's why I pushed her away and became the person I was before Claire. My mom wanted to help me, but it just made me hurt even more. It made me do stupid things to temporarily forget.

        I feel the bed shift from beside me and then a hand stroking my back. It slowly calms my racing heart down.

        "You okay?" Claire's gentle voice asks while continuing to stroke my back. She gently strokes it in a circular motion. I sigh and shake my head. I feel her shift on the bed again and then her thumbs are pushing against my neck and shoulders, massaging away the tension.

        "Do you want to talk about it?" She asks while pushing down on muscles. I slightly tilt my head back, enjoying the massage I'm getting.

        "No," I mumble while scooting back and leaning against the headboard. Claire turns around, facing me, with her knees pointing towards me. She takes one look at me before leaning forwards and wrapping her arms around my torso. She pulls me closer and I wrap my arms around her, pulling her into my chest.

        "Can I ask you a favor?" I ask while leaning my head against hers. She turns her head and looks up at me.

        "Depends on what the favor is." She says while resting her head on my chest.

        "Can we just imagine I didn't do anything stupid? Like I never messed up and we're a couple right now? Can we just imagine that you're 'my girl' and nothing is going to get in the way of that? Like I can hold you tonight and it mean more than just friends cuddling together? Like I get to call you mine for once?" I ask, just above a whisper. She'll probably say no, but I might as well ask. It never hurts to try. right? She won't say okay cause I'm just me and she's perfect. She could get any guy eating out of the palm of her hand, and she doesn't even know it. She doesn't know how much she's wanted.

        "Okay... One night... Just for now..." she mumbled while shifting off of me and onto the side of me on the bed. She curls up on my side and hides her face in my neck. I pull her up onto my chest and lock my arms around her waist. She doesn't fight it and just embraces the hug.

        "If I wasn't so stupid would this be a reality?" I ask while running my fingers up the side of her arm. She lightly shivers and sharply inhales.

        "Most likely." She frowns and pushes her face farther into my neck. I feel her eyes flutter against my neck. After a couple of minutes I feel her breaths start to even out, indicating that she's fast asleep. I don't have as much luck as her as falling asleep. I don't want to fall asleep either. This might be the only shot I'll get.

        I look down at Claire and kiss her head. She stirs a little and groans before stilling and sighing. How did I even get her to be my friend? I was such an ass and such a jerk. Why did she become friends with me? She's too nice and perfect. She wasn't even on good terms with me and she was still there. I wonder if she remembers what she did that night. I sure did.