Flight

119 A.C.

    "When lords would question the close bonds shared between the Targaryens, many would say it was because of their traditions. Interfamilial marriage was typical for Targaryens despite the rest of the kingdom viewing it as queer. The practice tied Targaryens by blood to each other like threads interwoven into a tangled ball. But despite common belief, it was the friendship that bloomed from shared blood that solidified bonds into valerian steel. An example could be seen between Princess Rhaenyra, Lady Laena Velaryon, and their children. The two ladies were thicker than a company of sellswords. It wasn't long before Lady Laena's death that the two signed a promise of their sons and daughters, thus solidifying the bond. But not all understood this custom was one of mutual survival. If only the late Queen Hightower had understood these practices and put aside her fear and disdain for the Princess's family. It may have saved her kin from their fate." (A maester's account after reading the scrolls over the Dance of the Dragons)

The next day, when I pulled myself from my bed and snuck through the castle, I felt a striving sense of determination. Maybe it was how my muscles ached or the cold driving me, but I moved quickly to my familiar spot in the field. I held the sword close to me as I tromped up the worn patch of grass before I froze. There was already someone in my spot.

    Daemon's head of white blonde hair was facing away from me, but I knew he heard my approach. He was sitting on the grass with his legs crossed in front of him. It was a very odd position for Daemon. Mother always said Uncle Daemon did things differently, but this was odd even for him. He appeared to be relaxed in this strange location but still alert. His head was turned slightly at my approach, but he didn't look at me. I stopped a few feet from him, the sword held loosely in my right hand. Daemon turned to look at me when I stopped moving. His face seemed oddly calm as he looked me over. I straightened my spine to stand taller before Daemon nodded to the spot next to him. I looked at him, confused, before I went to sit beside him.

    Daemon was looking at the slowly lightening sunrise, and I stopped watching him after a period of silence. I didn't know why he was here in my training spot, alone, sitting here silently. However, I didn't bother him with questions; we just sat beside each other, waiting for the other to speak. Daemon did look at me eventually, and his violet eyes were searching as he asked, "Why did you come out here so early?" I met his searching gaze with my own. I exhaled a breath I had been holding before saying, "I could ask you the same thing." Daemon did a slight nod to the side as if he thought that response was fair. He nodded to the open field before us, saying, "I was going to go on a flight when the sun rose." He looked at me expectantly before I said, "I come out here to practice." Daemon chuckled before saying, "I assumed you got sufficient training." I shook my head, my white hair covering my face till I pushed it from my eyes. I sighed, frustrated, before saying, "Father won't let me train with metal, and he insists I have classes a traditional lady would, unlike my brothers."

    Daemon nodded and said confidently, "So you sneak out here to be able to train so you can exceed your brothers." I pulled my head away from him and imitated my mother's scolding expression as I said, "Of course not. I train to be able to defend my brothers." Daemon raised an eyebrow, but I looked towards the field. The sun had risen enough to have the dew on the grass sparkle. Daemon's voice was neutral when he asked, "Defend from whom?" I watched the grass, reminded of how dragon scales can shine like dew on grass. I looked to Daemon before saying, "Aemond and Aegon. They don't like us. They ridicule my brothers, and Aegon uses his strength against us because we are smaller."

    Daemon nodded before I said, "I won't let them bully us, especially considering what the Queen's knight said." Daemon's eyes snapped to mine so quick I thought his head would spin. He narrowed his eyes at me before asking, "What did the knight say?" I shook my head quickly and whispered to Daemon, "I'm not allowed to say those words." He gave me a stern look and scolded, "Aemma." I dropped my head to look down in shame before he said, "Say it." I looked at him, threw my hair and whispered, "He called Mom a spoiled cunt." I didn't hear Daemon move, nor did he speak. I looked between the strands of my white blonde hair to see Daemon thinking. His expression was cold, but his mind seemed to be wirling. He nodded and said, "Thank you for telling me." I bobbed my chin in response, but Daemon wasn't looking at me.