Circus Boy

"Rose?" Rachel asked looking over at me. "What's up?" I answered taking a drag of my cigarette. "That's your 5th cigarette, are you alright." She asked with a worried face. "Yes, just stressed with this whole thing," I said as we parked outside the Detroit Police Department. We walked inside holding hands, "Hello, how may I help you ladies?" one of the officers asked us, "We need to speak to Detective Dick Grayson, our mother just got killed in front of us and we need his help." I said looking at the woman with a pleading face. "He's not in right now, but, I can call him in. Are you sure you don't want to discuss this with any other detective?" The woman with a kind face asked. I shook my head, "Okay if you'll follow me." The lady said to bring us to an office space, not an interrogation room.

 We sat there, waiting about an hour until he finally came in. "Hello, I'm Detective Grayson. Someone told me you need to talk to me about something." He said sitting in a chair in front of us. "You're the boy from the Circus," Rachel said and he looked at her in utter confusion. Before he could say anything, "We need your help," I said and I placed my hand on his. Showing him the memory of the night his parents died, the nightmare both me and Rachel share every night. And I showed him what happened yesterday afternoon.

"Why? Why me?" He asked and I shrugged. "I was hoping you'd be able to tell us," I said looking at Rachel. "Okay, I'm going to have someone check what you're saying, about your mother and the boy?" He asked about Kevin and I almost broke. "He was my boyfriend, and they shot him in the head," I said choking back a sob, Rachel grabbed my hand and squeezed it. "Okay, I'm really sorry for your loss." He said and with that, he left. 

"He was going to marry me Rachel, and then those men took him from me," I said almost crying. 2 out of 3 people I cared about the most, got snatched out of my life in the worst way possible. Kevin even gave me a promise ring and kept saying, "I gonna wife you up one day" and " One day I'ma give you a real ring."  He always knew how to make me smile, he had my heart and that man ripped it straight out of my chest. "I know Rose, he loved you and I can't tell you to move on because it's too soon. But, you'll find someone else." Rachel said and I know she meant well, but really can't think about this right now.

We heard a knock at the door and a man came in. "Hey Rachel, Detective Grayson, would like to speak to you privately." The man said and I looked at him crazy. "Okay," she said and got up, I gripped her arm. " I don't like this, Rach," I said and she rolled her eyes. "I'll be just fine Rose, I'll be back in a bit." She said with a small smile. She left with the man, but minutes went by before I heard from her again. Then an hour. Dick came back and he looked stressed. "You're coming with me, your sister's been kidnapped." He said and my heart sank to my feet. "Okay, let's go," I said getting up and following him out of the building to his car. I went over to my truck and grabbed both of our stuff. Me and Rachel's Backpacks.

I throw them into the backseat, "What are those for?" Dick asked "Something tells me that I won't be seeing my truck anymore, so I grabbed our stuff." I said calmly, before getting into the passenger seat. "Okay, Whatever." He said before speeding off towards the place that held my sister. After a few minutes, due to Dick speeding, we arrived outside of the building that he tracked my sister to. I reached into my backpack a grabbed my 44 Magnum, one I built myself. I loaded it and I could see Dick judging me. "Are you even old enough to use that?" He asked and rolled my eyes. "I'm 19 and done with chit-chat, so let's go get my sister," I told him and we got out. I was ahead of him and saw there was a padlock on the door. I kicked down the door in one move and snuck up stair, with Dick trailing me. "No! No please!" I heard Rachel scream as we walked up the stairs. But, as we got closer to the door a man was standing by the railing on the stairs. He was standing with his back turned to us, I quickly put him is sleeper's hold until he grew limp in my arms. Dick mouthed "Where'd you learn that?" and I just shrugged. 

Soon, we heard the muffled scream of a man and we rushed to the door. "Rachel!? Rache!" I screamed banging on the door and trying to twist the knob of the door. But it wouldn't budge. Dick moved me out of the way and began to slam his body against the door. It still didn't budge, but then the screaming stopped and I could hear Rachel crying from inside. With one more hard slam against the door, the door opened to reveal Rachel sitting in a wooden chair hyperventilating. "Oh, Rach," I said running past Dick who was looking at the pool of blood on the floor.  "I killed him, Rose I killed him, he's dead. I couldn't control it like you do." She cried and I placed my hands on her face. I kissed his forehead, "It's okay Rachel, he deserved it, he tried to hurt you." I said comforting her. I picked her up from the chair and carried her out with ease. 

When we got outside I put Rachel into the backseat, she'd fallen asleep on the way down the stairs, so I laid her down. I got into the passenger seat beside Dick and he looked at me. "Where'd you learn that?" He asked and looked at him. "I used to fight in underground boxing matches, they didn't have any rules, so I learned lots of things," I said looking ahead of me. "When Rachel said "I couldn't control it like you do" what did that mean?" He asked "When I was a kid, I was with my dad, Trigon. So, I have magic stronger than his and when I was taken away from him I had to figure out how to control it myself. When Rachel was born I was 4, but, I had been in a void with my father for 10 years, so mentally, I was 14. Rachel's Mother saved both my and Rachel's lives. Then she put us under the protection of a close friend, that she trusted enough to keep us away from our father. But, Mom kept bringing Rachel to the sisters, I was there too, but it hurt Rachel the most because she hasn't accepted what she is." I explained and he listened to every word with thought. "And you accept what you are?" He asked and I thought for a second.

"Sort of."

The ending of Episode One—Pilot

Word Count:1226