Part 1- Chapter 13

LEO

___

___

I inhale the aroma of the room; a fowl musky smell with a distant smell of coconut.

Harley

Looking around her hotel room, it takes everthing inside me to not burn this place to fucking ashes.

Used needles are lazily disgarded around the room, along side several different glass pipes. Liquor bottles are strewn among the counter, some half drank and others empty.

It takes me about half an hour of pure ignorance before going around the entire room and throwing every useless, money wasting fucking thing into the goddamn trash bin, making a note that there was already several empty baggies in the bottom of it.

Blinded by anger, i bust the bathroom door off its hinges as I begin searching for any nook or crannie Harley could have possibly found during her ungodful stay at the Gharlan Hotel.

By the time I am finsihed collecting every fucking thing Harley should not be in possesion of, its fifteen past ten and the nerves in the deepest pits of my stomach coil in uneeze.

As if on que, the phone on my pocket begins to vibrate furiously.

"What?" I snarl into the receiever.

Tessa doesnt hesitate a beat. "Brother, we have a problem."

"Fucking fix it," The words slash out of my mouth before i really have time to process what exactly I had said to my kid sister.

"You wanna get that stick out of your ass, you Australian prick? Its about Harley, if you were wondering." Tessa replies with the same sharpness.

I dont respond, instead choosing to bite my fucking tongue to keep from cussing out Tessa.

"No response? Why, brother, she really does me something to you." Tessa's tone remains sharp but i could almost just see her grinning. "There was a ruckus inside Harleys diner arund nine-fourty five. Whatever happened ended eith a gunshot going off before Harley came walking out and she ditched her bus stop.

"Kept walking straight past it."

At the near mention of a gunshot, something that could easily harm Harley, I begin to pace the room in attempt to ease my nerves even if its just the slightest.

"What have you been doing for the past half hour?" I bark.

"Scoping for cops and keeping eyes on Harley, I'd like to add that I have looked hot as hell the entire time." I don't resist the urge to roll my eyes, because there are some things that deserve an eye roll.

Before I have the opportunity to ask, as if reading my own thoughts, Tessa continues. "Fancy Pants has eyes on her, she should be there in approximately two minutes."

"Fancy Pants?"

Tessa snorts. "Thank your girl for that one, it's so going to stick."

Approximately two minutes after hanging up the phone, the creaky door to the room opens and in walks the devilish Goddess herself.

But she's not herself.

A ping of guilt strikes me to the core of my soul.

Harley has lost atleast twenty pounds since I last saw her, her cheeks nearly hallow. Her blue hair knotted, a tangle of messy hair sticking out at every odd angle that could possibly be imagined.

My jaw ticks.

The button on her blouse are missing, leaving her breasts on full display with the cheap black bra that offers no support at all. Her-

Blood

It's not her, please God let it not be hers. I swear on every fucking-

Harley walks straight past me, dragging her feet. Her eyes, once bright and full of sass, now are clouded over, sporting no emotion; no, color.

"Harley," I say roughly, not trusting myself to say any other syllable besides her name.

Nothing.

She doesn't freeze midstep as she walks into the bathroom, numbly acting out of reflex.

She doesn't yell at me to go fuck myself for trespassing into her room.

Nothing.

Harley simply turns the faucet on scolding hot, and begins to rub her hands together underneath the steaming water.

At first, she washed her hands slowly, showing no interest in picking up her speed. Then, as if a switch was flipped, Harley begins to violently scrub at her arms.

Her nails dig into her skin as she drags her fingers down, still in the scorching water, leaving trails of bright red all acorss her forearm.

"Harley," Even to my ears, i can hear the alarmed tone.

"Get off, get off, get off." Harleys voice cracks as she scratches more, now leaving a display of blood.

I quickly grab her by the wrists to prevent her from harming herself anymore, her heartbeating frantically.

Harley fliches at my touch and a growl slips past my lips. Harley doesn't look up at me, her body choosing now of all moments to go into flight or fight mode.

"No, no, please! I didnt tell, I didnt tell!" Harley sobs as she pulls aggressively against my grasp. I feel Harley's knees bucker as she slides to rhe ground, still trying to escape my grip.

"I didnt tell," she sobs more. I kneel down, freeing her hands, and gently cup her face, trying my best to get her to look at me, not whatever nightmare is on repeat in her beautiful head.

"Baby, look at me, its okay." I hope my voice sounds atleast a little soft, given the fact ive never spoken soft before.

Harley's ocean blue eyes are clouded over, only confirming my suspicion. "You're safe, you're with me. No one can hurt you," I vowel, no, promise.

I gently place a kiss to her forehead, inhaling the brief scent of coconut.

I lower my eyes to hers once more.

"Where is the gun, my love?"

"Bag." Is all Harley says, her eyes once more looking past something that only can be seen in Memory Lane.

I stand up, carefully bring Harley up besides me before leading her to the comfort of the bed, directing her to sit.

When Harley first came in, I recall, her small black purse had slipped from her fingers; spilling its contents near the door.

I shuffle through little containers of chapstick and crumpled up bills before starring at the gun in a slight bit of astonishment.

In my hands, I hold a black Glock 19 with a gold engraving of a snake that wraps around the entire frame of the gun.

I double check the safety, insuring its in and slipping it into my vest with only one question on my mind.

How the actual fuck is Harley in possesion of a custom designed Glock and I wasnt aware of it?

My dick twitches.

Fuck

No

Of all the inappropriate times to fucking get hard, now is not fucking the right time, you fucking perv.

I swallow thickly and turn to face the woman i only just got back.

I grab the duffel bag barely full of Harley's possesion and swing it over my shoulder, grabbing her purse while im at it. I walk back to Harley, once again gently cupping her face.

"I'm going to take you away from here, my love. We're going to make things better." I once again promise, something i haven't done since-

No, I wont go there.

I cant.