Chapter 8-The Check Up

Bucky was at the dining room table feeding Alice some applesauce. Today they had to go to the tower to see Bruce for a check up. Bucky was nervous as he himself did not like any medical exams, he didn't want to see Alices' reaction to it.

"You ready to go see Uncle Bruce today? He's gonna check you out and make sure you're a strong, healthy girl." Bucky cooed as he wiped Alices' mouth off and lifted her up from the highchair. Alice smiled and nodded to the question. Bucky chuckled and kissed her on the head and packed the diaper bag up. He locked up the house and made his way to the car Tony had lent him. He put Alice in her carseat, making sure the seatbelt was secure and got into the driver seat. During the drive the two had a conversation, an incoherent conversation but still a conversation. As Bucky pulled into the parking garage he saw Steve waiting by the elevator. He smiled as he put the vehicle in park and turned the engine off. Steve opened the back door and got Alice out and spun her around, making her giggle.

"Hi sweetheart, you ready to see Uncle Bruce? I heard he has a special treat for you, but only if you're good." Steve said as he took the diaper bag out the front seat as well. Alice babbled as a response as she played with the neck of Steves shirt. Bucky took her from Steve and started peppering her with kisses which resulted in laughter from the baby. The group made their way towards the elevator which resulted in a look of concern from Alice.

"It's alright sweetheart, it's just an elevator." Bucky said as they stepped into the metal box. Steve pressed the button for Bruces floor, the doors closed and the elevator started moving upwards. The overwhelming feeling Alice got from the movement made her scared. Slowly but surely she had started to cry. Bucky laid her head on his shoulder and he started to rock her as the elevator continued to move.

"Shh, it's okay. We're almost there." Bucky whispered in her ear as he swayed her, trying to get the little one to calm down. The elevator dinged as it suddenly stopped in which Alice screamed in fear. Bucky hushed the child as he stepped out of the elevator, Steve following with the diaper bag in hand. Bruce was sitting at his desk typing something on his futuristic computer.

"Hey, you guys made it. What's going on?" Bruce said as he started prepping a table with those plastic paper coverings and got all the equipment ready for the baby.

"Hey Bruce, we're good. What's the plan for her today?" Bucky asked as he placed Alice on the table. She heard the crinkle of the paper and smiled. She then giggled as she started kicking simply to continue the noise. Steve chuckled as he gently helped her stand.

"Just the regular check up and drawing blood, it'll only take a couple hours at most." Bruce explained as he sanitized his hands and put on clear latex gloves (pretend it's anti-allergen okay? okay). As the broken soldier heard the words 'drawing blood' his face went pale. A baby only 8 months old at this point needs their blood drawn. Thoughts began to race through his head. Is she going to be still for Bruce? Is she going to freak out? What if she hurts herself even more? Am I going to be able to handle her if she cries for hours on end? What if she won't sleep tonight? The mans thoughts were broken by the giggles of the baby. Bucky took a seat on the covered table and sat Alice in his lap. Bruce took this as a sign to start the check up. He grabbed his stethoscope and put it near Alices heart. He listened for a heartbeat and started writing some things down on his clipboard. He then moved onto her back and did the same thing. He then moved onto the ears. When he stuck the medical tool in her ear Alice started to squirm, feeling uncomfortable by the sensation. Bucky gently held her still so Bruce could continue. Alice began to flail herself on the table and screamed.

"Alice you have to stay still. If you keep acting like this you won't get that treat and this will hurt." Bucky said sternly. Alice stopped her act and let her tears fall as Bruce finished looking at her ears.

"Alright, all done with the ears. Now the mouth, open wide and say ahh." Bruce said in a gentle tone as he took out a tongue depressor. Alice opened her mouth as big as she could.

"AHHHHH" Alice yelled as Bruce looked down her throat.

"Alright, that's all good. James, I need you to stand her up on this scale." Bruce instructed as he prepped the machine. Bucky held Alice up as Bruce determined her weight and height.

"Alright, now for the hard part. I'm gonna get everything set up." Bruce said nervously as he stepped out. Bucky sat on the table and held Alice in his arms. He started to undress her in order to prepare for the thing he dreaded this entire time. Bruce had come back into the room with the rubber band, vials and most of all the needle.

"Alright...you ready?" Bruce questioned as stretched out the thick rubber band. Bucky nodded as he held Alice tight. Bruce took Alice's right arm and wrapped the rubber band tight. Alice whined at this and kicked slightly. Bucky shushed and bounced her slightly to calm her down. Bruce was then able to find a vein and stuck the needle in. Alice then let out a blood curdling scream. Bucky was quick to kiss her head and began to whisper sweet nothings into her ear and Bruce started filling up the vials with the child's blood. After three had been filled Bruce had taken the large needle out and covered the hole with a bandaid.

"There we go, all done. You did such a great job Alice that I think you should get that treat." Bruce said as he booped Alice on the nose. As Bruce left the room Alice was still bawling her small eyes out.

"Shh it's alright love bug. You did so well and Dada is so proud of you." Bucky cooed as he cuddled her close. Bruce then came out with a large stuffed tan bunny.

"Here we are, just for you." Bruce said excitedly as he placed the stuffed animal in Steves arms.

"I will call you guys when I figure out her results okay?" Bruce said as he wrote some final notes in his clipboard and walks away. Bucky had gotten up from the table and started walking back to the elevator with Alice in his arms; Steve following in tow.