Chapter 9- The Results

It had been a couple days since Alice had her appointment with Bruce. Currently, Bucky was on the couch with Alice. He was giving her a bottle before bedtime while watching Peter Pan. Once he was finished feeding her, he burped her and sat her up on his lap so she could watch the movie. He patted her back and hummed some tunes that he could remember. After 20 minutes he could hear soft snores coming from the baby. He smiled and brought her to her room. He paced around the room for a few moments to make sure she was truly asleep before laying her in the crib. He turned the mobile on and covered half her body with a blanket. He slowly backed away and left the room. He turned on the baby monitor to hear if she cries. Bucky began to clean up the kitchen when he heard his phone ring. He picked the device up and saw Bruce's name on the caller ID. He accepted and put the phone to his ear.

"Hey Bruce, what's up?" Bucky said as he sat in a chair by the island in the kitchen.

"Hey, I have Alice's results." Bruce said. Bucky eyes widened at the words. It felt like he had been waiting ages for this moment.

"Okay, so what's going on with her?" Bucky questioned, anxiety rising up in him. He began to shake his leg, hoping nothing serious was wrong with his baby girl.

"Well she has some accelerated growth, her height and weight is that of a 2 year old. I'm thinking it's from hydra trying to get her stronger. That's why her language is developing so quickly, her brain truly believes she is supposed to be talking. With that being said her brain activity is most likely through the roof. There is just one major concern I have regarding her." Bruce explained. Bucky's heart dropped to his stomach, he was nervous as to what Bruce's concern was regarding his daughter. Yea he may not be her biological father, but he took care of her like any father would.

"What is it?" Bucky asked with a tint of concern in his voice, he didn't want to sound nervous but he wanted to figure out what was wrong with Alice.

"Well I'm worried about the possibility of having nightmares and night terrors. Due to her brain activity she might remember the abuse that she endured while she was in hydra." Bruce explained. Bucky pinched the bridge of his nose. He suffered from nightmares as well, it might not be the same as a night terror but he didn't want his child to suffer like he does on a day to day basis.

"Well she's been sleeping through the night, she's only had a nightmare once. That's a good sign, right?" Bucky said as he stared at the baby monitor, watching Alice's movements closely.

"Yea that is good, but I would still be cautious if I were you. I would keep track of how often she has nightmares and night terrors and if it's starting to become consistent please see me as soon as you can." Bruce explained. Bucky nodded and wrote some notes down in his daily notebook.

"Okay will do. Thank you again Bruce." Bucky said,

"Anytime, I'm only a phone call away." Bruce said as he hung up the phone. Bucky texted Steve if he could come over so they could talk about Alice's results. Steve accepted and said he was on his way. In the meantime Bucky finished cleaning the kitchen and living room. Just as he finished, he heard a knock on the door. He opened it and let Steve in. Steve sat on the couch and waited for Bucky to tell him the story.

"So Alice has accelerated growth, Bruce says it's most likely because of hydra. He said she was okay for the most part but he was just concerned about one thing.." Bucky had to stop for a moment to contain his emotions. Steve waited patiently and silently, he didn't wanna rush his best friend in telling him something that can be told at any time.

"...He said that she may have night terrors and nightmares and to look for consistency." Bucky let out a deep breath and sat on the couch. He held his head in his hand. Steve gave him a pat on the back.

"Look Buck, just like we have always said to each other...I'm here with you until the end of the line okay? Whenever you need me I'll be here for you and Alice." Steve said with a smile. Bucky picked his head back up and returned the gesture. Normally it was Steve that needed the help, not him. Bucky hadn't felt this helpless since he escaped from hydra. At that moment he heard a sound he deeply hoped he wouldn't have to hear.