Chapter Forty-Two: Onwards and Downwards

Shadow slammed the door to Prince Horace's throne room, he strode across the room and dropped Boy at Hex's feet.

"Ouch!" Jake scowled at Shadow.

"The guards are right behind me," Shadow said breathlessly. He quickly threw back a dark green rug to expose the wooden trapdoor. "Horace's maze is down there."

"Unfortunately," Chester said, wiping his brow with his sleeve.

Shadow yanked the cast-iron handle and opened the trapdoor with a loud creak and a blast of musty, cold air.

"Chester, you can go first." Hex gestured to the trapdoor.

Chester crept closer and peered into the dark abyss. "Are you sure this is safe?"

"Of course." Before Chester could change his mind, Hex pushed him. With a startled yelp, Chester toppled into the hole and vanished. "Cathy, your turn."

Cathy leaned over the trapdoor, and not wanting to be pushed, she held her breath and jumped.

"Cathy!" Jake leapt to his feet. "Wait for me!" And without hesitation, he followed his sister into the maze.

"Shadow, are you ready?" Hex edged closer to the trapdoor.

Shadow stared at the dark hollow and he wondered, could he really escape for a second time? "Yes," he muttered. "I'm ready."

"Good." Hex looped his cloak around his arm and stepped into the hole.

Footsteps approached the throne room as the binding spell dragged Shadow into the maze, and the trapdoor closed behind him.

Water trickled down the grey, mossy walls onto the worn flagstones. The familiar smell of damp soil was an unwelcome reminder of the years he spent stuck to Phillip, hoping one day to escape and never to return.

Above his head, torches burned, lighting the tunnels and casting shadows. Any of which could be  just like him.

"Oh, great!" said Jake, wringing the water from his hoodie. "I'm soaked."

Jake had landed in a puddle, and to his right stood Hex, with not a speck of dirt on his clothes. Chester, however, muttered miserably under his breath as he brushed the muck from his fine brown suit.

"Where's Cathy?" Shadow asked, realising she was missing.

"She must be here. She can't have gone far." Hex scanned the tunnel for any sign of her.

"Cathy!" Jake yelled, wandering further into the maze.

"Boy, wait!" Shadow followed Jake. They had already lost one child, he didn't wish to lose another.

"Cathy!" Chester shouted, scurrying to keep up with Shadow.

"Stop!" Hex yelled, lifting the sack over his head. "I will find her."

Jake and Chester returned to where the sorcerer crouched, staring into Giggleton's crystal ball.

"Where is Cathy?" Hex asked.

The crystal ball swirled with white wisps before a particularly nasty image formed. It was not Cathy who appeared, but the horrid Prince Horace.

"Oh, no!" Chester whispered. "He knows we're here."

Shadow pressed himself against the wall and hid.

"Yes, Chester. " Horace's voice echoed through the tunnels. "I knew the moment you arrived. I see Hex removed your curse. How disappointing?"

"Horace, what have done with Cathy?" Hex said, glaring down at the imp.

"I saved her from certain death. You should be thanking me."

"Wait until I get out of here."

Horace chuckled. "Enjoy my maze, Hex."

Once Horace vanished from the crystal ball, Shadow peeled himself from the wall. To his horror, Hex turned towards him, his face drained of colour, and said, "If anything happens to Cathy, if we fail to save her, I hold you responsible. For your own sake, find Rose and lead us out of this maze."

Hex's threat left no doubt in Shadow's mind. The sorcerer meant to destroy him.