[9] CONFESSIONS

THE DRIVE INTO town was quiet at best, awkward at worst. Turns out Dean had a second-hand car that he'd brought shortly after he'd started university, which was what he carried us in.

I stayed mostly silent, trying to work out what precisely Camille and Dean's relationship was. Camille had taken the front seat while I sat in the back. I almost felt like a third wheel.

But their conversation was perfectly normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Just two friends. Maybe I'd overthought, then? But it still seemed just a tiny bit strange. I hadn't imagined that the two were close.

It was a short drive. He had the two of us get out of the car first, told us to wait while he went to park the car. When he was done, we all walked together into the shopping centre.

The pizzeria was on the second floor, so we took the elevator up. Not a sound. Not a single one of us said a word. It was almost starting to get creepy.

Finally, when I couldn't handle it anymore, I turned to Camille. "How's life, Cam-Cam?"

She pulled a face at me. "What do you think, Salome?"

"Good?"

"Except for schoolwork, of course."

"Ah, pity. Oh, by the way, I gave Livia your number yesterday. She says she'll text you if you're actually interested in renting her apartment."

Dean glanced at us, and then his gaze turned to Camille. "You actually renting the flat?"

"I'll think about it," Camille replied. "I'll discuss it with Livia."

I grinned. "We'll be neighbours. You'll live right above me."

"I know," Camille gushed. "That would be so nice. I can go to your house all the time for food."

I narrowed my eyes. "Is that the only reason you want to move in?"

Camille batted her eyelashes innocently. "Is that a problem?"

"If you pay for the food, fine by me."

"Sounds like a fair arrangement," Camille agreed. "Oh, we're here."

We went inside. The pizzeria wasn't particularly large in size, and we sat quite close to the door. I faced the glass window with Erika, while Dean took the other side.

"Should we order?" I asked, not bothering to flick through the menu. I already knew what I wanted.

"Wait a bit," Dean said. "Wait til Orion comes."

Camille blinked beside me. "Orion's coming? Why didn't he come with us, then?" I was equally shocked. What was it that Eileen said? There's a plot at play. This was it, wasn't it? Orion.

But why would that be a plot?

"Why didn't you tell us he was coming too?" I frowned.

Dean shrugged. "Said you wouldn't show up if he did. Thinks you've been avoiding him."

"Wait what?"

He turned his gaze to Camille. "When you said you were going to bring Salome along, I thought I should probably get Orion to come too. But when I told him he told me not to tell you guys. Don't blame me, honestly. I'm just doing as I'm told." And then to me, he said, "Is something wrong? Have you argued with him again or something?"

I shook my head. "No. I'm not sure what he's talking about."

"If you're uncomfortable," he continued softly, "we can leave now. I'm fine with driving you back if you really want to."