[12] BROKEN HEARTS

I DIDN'T SEE it coming, hadn't expected it at all. In the almost three months I'd known Eileen Zhou, she'd always been an indomitable presence. Nothing seemed to be able to put her down, and I'd long viewed her as someone almost... superhuman. I'd never heard a word of true complaint exit her mouth, and it was disconcerting, suddenly being informed that she indeed has problems in her life too.

I just didn't think I'd be the person she went to.

Because that was what was happening now. Eileen Zhou, with her ferocious purple hair, velvet red nails, hugged her legs as she sat beside my window, the cup of tea I'd made for her moments before on the floor.

It was late. It was a week after I'd been sick, a lazy Saturday that I'd spent cleaning up my apartment and trying to fish out anything I didn't need to bring back home in a matter of weeks. I hadn't expected company, but then Eileen had come calling at nine in the evening, her voice unsteady and very clearly still sobbing.

The sky had long turned dark outside. I'd always despised British winters. The nights were far too long and the days too short, and I'd always felt a sense of melancholy crawling up my skin in those long winter evenings. As if the darkness would swallow the light as a whole, as if I'd never see the sun in the sky again.

She'd arrived fifteen minutes after her call, eyes bloodshot and puffy, hugging her winter jacket as if she was about to freeze to death. Her hair was messy and uncombed and she wore no makeup. Which was rare for Eileen Zhou.

I hadn't said a word to her after she'd arrived, and she hadn't explained anything to me on the call either. Her words had been simple. "Salome? I really don't want to be alone right now. Can I come over?"

I said yes.

She'd thank me when I'd handed her the tea, and I'd nodded back before fetching my own. Now, I walked back into the living room, sitting on the cushion opposite hers besides the window. I'd left the drapes up, and from my apartment window we could see a few cars pass by the quiet road.

It was still early and it was a Saturday. No doubt a lot of kids were out at parties right now. Us, though, it was as if we were in our own separate pocket universe. Quiet, just the two of us. A crying girl and her friend, a cup of hot tea in hand.

"So," I asked, placing my mug beside me like she had, "what happened?"

"Life hit me in the face like a dumpster truck." She'd calmed down now. The only indication that she'd been crying were her still red eyes and hiccups that she tried to swallow down. It wasn't working.

"Elaborate?"

"It's a long story."

"We have a long night ahead of us." I sent her a dry look. Don't try to avoid the situation. She met my eyes, raised her mug and poured some hot tea into her mouth, eyes shifting to the dark window.

"It's embarrassing."

"I can't help you if you don't tell me anything. I won't tell anyone else, promise. Or judge. I've done some pretty stupid things in my life too."

"It's really embarrassing."

"Fuck that," I laughed. "Who cares if it's embarrassing? It's clearly making you upset, so let it out. It's not healthy to keep it all in, Eileen."

"But it's really embarrassing."

"If you really don't want to say, that's fine. We can just sit here for a while and enjoy this nice cup of tea. I got it at Fortnum and Mason's, by the way. My favourite from them, apricot, honey and lavender tea. Honestly just amazing."