Chapter 9 - David

The magical world is not a vacation, let me tell you.

I pant hard, having run for miles from Damien's goons - a gargoyle and two zombies. They were followed by other monsters who wanted me out of the magic world. I understood their reasons, but I couldn't allow them to win.

The dark shadow zombies seemed determined to overtake me. They had me right by a cliff. I swear angrily at my luck. I was getting so sick of these guys.

"Give the crown back to us and we will let you live" says the gargoyle

"You mean this thing?" I ask. "I didn't realize that it was yours."

I give a mock bow. He lashes his claws back at me.

"Damien warned us of your trickery" growls a zombie. "All those snarky remarks and tricks."

"Oh, you work for Damien?" I laugh. "Let me tell you something - maybe if you weren't following his orders all the time, you would actually get somewhere in life. Like rob a store, or sleep with as many girls as you want. Nevermind that, you guys have the emotional intelligence of garden hoes."

The gargoyle takes another snap.

"Woah, someone is in a good mood. Feeling empowered and angry? Sit with it, work with it! Maybe you'll actually stand up for yourselves this time."

The crowd of angry monsters around were growing impatient and highly offended.

"We want to see blood" they cry and "Rip him apart!"

The zombies hiss at me, baring their teeth.

"I don't suppose you guys couldn't take a final request from me before you all maul me?" I ask. "I mean, Damien says that you guys are the smartest goons that he has. For cornering one of his greatest enemies - the great David Juarez."

I sense a dark shadow behind me. A harpy grabs me before I can react.

I swear in anger as it lifts me up over the edge of the cliff.

The hoard of monsters cheer. They had surrounded the cliff edge. They push at each other to get the best look of my fall. Below me are jagged rocks. It seems that my luck is running out.

My options were clear here

I can a Kill the creature holding me and get skewkard by the sharp dagger rocks or Alternatively allow myself to be tormented further by the darklings.

I had done my time dealing with Damien to know which was the better option. I yell out to them "I do have something to say to Damien - it's about the deal that he offered. Tell him he can suck it!"

My hand shoots backwards, stabbing the harpy in the neck, who drops me into the chasm below.

Then I am jolted awake. My commanding officer always knows when to get us out of our electronic trance. Removing the electromagnetic waves connected to our brains, we re-emerge in our reality. Just another day in the life on a military base.

...

I went on excursion after excursion in my time within the military. I had been living at the military base for quite a period of time, and they had been avoiding enemy fire and appeared every other day. I would see the lights that go up in the sky as the crackle and pops of laser beams seemed to hit each other. I was wondering to myself, how the hell did I get in this situation. How did I allow himself to stay in an area of the world over a period of time that was progressively getting worse and worse? When Justin Trudeau sent the plane over requiring that the only thing for service members to do to get on was to take the Covid vaccination, I gladly accepted - watching the entire military base go up into flames as we were flying away.