Chapter 3 - Anxiety, and a few old bad habits

NOTES: I'm going to jump in places and time and I'll switch POVs during the fic, but I don't think you'll have any trouble figuring it out.

New York

Someone banged on the door of Magnus' loft. Magnus didn't want to open it. He pulled the blanket over his head and tried to ignore the banging. But he couldn't ignore it any longer when he heard his friend's voice through the closed door.

"Magnus Bane. I know you're there. If you don't let me in, I'll kick your glittery ass. I waited an hour for you outside the theater. You owe me at least an explanation, and a glass of wine."

Magnus groaned, got up from the couch, went to the door and opened it.

" I'm sorry" he said as he opened the door.

When Cat saw that her best friend was wearing a pair of sweatpants instead of a suit, his hair was anything but spiky, and he wasn't wearing glitter and kohl, she knew there was something wrong.

"Honey, how do you look? The last time I saw you this trashed was when Alec left. What happened?"

"Nothing. I'm sorry I forgot the theater." said Magnus and went back to the couch.

"Sunshine, if nothing had happened, we'd be sitting in the theater right now, enjoying the show, and you wouldn't look the way you did a year ago. So sit down and tell me everything." Cat said as she went into the kitchen, got 2 glasses, a bottle of wine and went into the living room. She put one of the glasses in Magnus' hand and sat down on the couch next to him.

"Cat, I've really fucked this up. With Alec."

"After a year, you finally figured it out?"

"I should never have let him go. I should have fought for him. For us. But I did nothing. I felt so hurt. I miss him, Cat. I miss him so fucking much." Magnus was nothing but a whisper.

"Sweetheart, are you going to tell me what happened?" asked Cat gently, seeing the tears welling up in her friend's eyes.

Magnus looked at her, wiping his tears away with the back of his hand. He picked up the glass and took a big sip of the red wine.

"We were practicing with Alex for his performance. You know, since Alec left, no one comes down the corridor to practice."

The lump in Magnus' throat was growing. Cat noticed that he was completely broken.

"Did someone go into Alec's room?" asked Cat quietly.

Unable to answer, Magnus just nodded and a soft sob burst from his throat.

"Cat, there was a violinist, and he was playing our piece. The Chopin. Cat, I thought he came back. I felt the butterflies in my stomach again. But when I walked in, it wasn't him. It was a young guy. But Cat, I swear he was playing Chopin just like Alexander."

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry. Don't you think it's time to go and find him and finally talk about the things that haven't been said?"

"Cat, it's been over a year. He's probably moved on and lives his life with someone else. Someone who's worth it."

Cat hugged her friend tightly and just held him until the sobbing faded.

"Magnus, you're worth it. Do you understand me? You didn't cheat on him. That bitch Camille is the reason for everything. And that you were both idiots and too stubborn to straighten things out. Come on, you go to bed now, and I'll stay here until you fall asleep."