Prologue

November 13th, 2019

— dream pov

Usually when George doesn't respond to Dream's messages, he's either asleep or pissed. Dream was made aware very early on in their friendship that the Brit—for lack of better phrasing—did not have a life. His entire world revolved around their friendship; his job, his hobbies etc. But it never bothered him, because he was exactly the same.

This meant that it was unlikely Dream ever got ghosted by him for longer than a few hours. As far as he can remember it's only ever happened once, when George stayed up all night working on things he'd procrastinated until the last minute and then slept for like fifteen hours in one go. Even when the Brit was busy with other things, which was rare, he had his notifications on loudly so he could send Dream a "ttyl".

So George disappearing for twenty hours in one go, and then responding to the spam of messages in the group chat with "sorry, family shit" and then disappearing again, was extremely bizarre. And not only was it weird for the fact he didn't respond for a day, but also the fact that in the whole time Dream had known the man, he had never had "family shit".

From the few things he's learnt from George's relationship with his family, found out from the rare times the Brit divulged the information on a whim or embedded in a joke, he had gotten away from his parents as soon as he could and never looked back. They weren't bad or anything, they just cared more for their work lives than they did their children, and the only person he was remotely close to was his sister.

But even his relationship with her was strained, growing up they were constantly compared to each other and it created a sense of competitiveness where there should have been familial love. Plus, she was an older sister, so even if they loved each other George could never exactly call her "kind" when they were growing up.

The point was, George didn't have family shit. George's family was Dream, Sapnap, Bad and Callahan, and he had never seemed like he cared that he deserved more.

Two more days go by with no proper contact, and in that time the group chat only gets two more messages:

"probably going to be gone a while, i'll explain when i have time"

And then, a few hours later: "sorry. ik me leaving will have a huge impact on u guys mental health and could cause depression or something lol. ttyl."

It was a joke, obviously, but Dream almost believed it was true. He hadn't even realised that in the few years he's known George he'd become genuinely one of the most important people in his life, he hadn't realised until those instant responses were gone.

It was such a weird feeling, suddenly realising he was so close to someone who he's never even met in real life, who doesn't even know who Dream looks like. And yeah he was used to that with Sapnap; but Sapnap has been a life-support since he was thirteen years old. He's close with Dream's dad and they know all about each other's puberty. Whereas George is.. An older, cooler, independent enigma, and yet he cares for him exactly the same.

Another week goes by and then, at 3am for Dream and 9am for George, he gets a call. The thoughtlessness of it is so George that Dream almost wants to cry, but he doesn't, and instead answers with a tired but enthusiastic. "Hey! Everything okay?"

George's familiar laugh echoes through the call, and Dream almost sighs in joy at hearing it again, but instead he analyses the Brit's tone for an answer as to what was going on. He sounded exhausted, but there was an element of happiness too. People talking and walking around sounded from the background, all of it too indistinct for Dream to make out, and finally the Brit replies.

"Yeah, I'm.. Well, actually everything's a bit weird right now, but I think I'm okay."

"The 'family shit'?"

"Yeah." He breathes out. "It's um.. Shit."

The two laugh quietly to each other, and Dream shuffles where he's propped up in bed. "Do you.. Wanna talk about it?"

It's quiet for a moment, only background noise audible through the phone, and then George giggles. "Idiot, what are you, my therapist?" His voice turns high and mocking. "Oh, uh, you sound like you're struggling a lot with your depression, bb, do you wanna talk about it?"

Dream can't help but laugh, even if disappointed George isn't talking about it. "I don't think a therapist would call you bb, George."

"I don't think you should underestimate the power of therapy, Dream."

Dream goes to reply teasingly, but before he can there's a distant voice that sticks out over the phone, probably talking to George with how close they are. The call turns muffled, as if someone stuck their hand over the mic, but he can still make out the words "mum" and "please" from George when he responds.

Dream holds his breath, waiting patiently as a million and one thoughts rush through his mind, before heels clack away from the call and the muffledness is lifted. "Sorry." George mutters quickly, "that was my mum."

Dream racks his brain for a question, before settling on. "Where are you?"

George hesitates, before: "the hospital."

"Oh my god, what-"

"Not, like, for me or anything. It's my sister, she- well it's a long story but life has been kinda weird recently and I just wanted to talk to you. Sorry for.. disappearing, I guess."

Dream sighs, dropping his head to his pillow. "Is she okay?"

George swallows. "She's alive, but.. they're not sure for how much longer."

"Oh, George, I'm so sorry."

"Seriously, it's cool. I, um.. well I'm sad, but-" he laughs dryly. "That isn't even the biggest news."

"The.. Biggest news?"

Another voice sticks out of the background noise, and the call goes muffled again as George responds. "Sorry." He replies, the muffledness lifted. "I gotta go. Tell the others I miss them." And then the beeping of an ended call is all that's left.

1009 words.

A/n

Hey! Welcome to my latest project, I'm very proud of her, she is my baby.

As much as I adore this fic, I doubt the updates will be supperrr frequent. So, bear with me, but I can promise that the quality will be there. So please try and be patient!!

please don't be a silent reader! Vote and maybe comment :), they feed my ego and overall make my entire week, plus motivate me to write! So you'll get updates faster, and I'll be the happiest person alive.

If you have any requests or prompts for oneshots you want written, you can comment, pm, or dm me elsewhere (discord: the69goddess) and if i like it I'll write it :) I have no boundaries lol go nuts with ur requests

Love you all, stay hydrated!!